DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm living in a fairly old terraced house that's being used as student accomodation. One of the toilets is on the 1st floor next to my bedroom. Directly behind the toilet room is a section of my L shaped bedroom and there is a pipe sticking up roughly 1 metre, maybe higher out of the floor. We rarely use this upstairs toilet but when it is flushed an absolutely hideous smell comes out of said pipe and my room is uninhabitable. My landlord assured me that in old houses these pipes are often in bedrooms and just replaced a plastic cap from on top of the pipe. He said the pipe is to let air out of the plymbing system. It's been about 2 weeks since he replaced the plastic cap and the smell is back. Is this pipe a soil vent pipe or something else? And are these pipes supposed to be inside the house/inside a bedroom? Also wondering if I call an emergency plumber whether my landlord is obliged to pay any costs that may arise?
Thanks!

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
No way should there be an open sewer vent without a trap or Studer vent inside a house!
Going to need a picture.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

That's the plastic cap he replaced a couple of weeks ago. Also just realised this is an american website so may not be the same there as it is here

Also.. I'm pretty sure all this yellow insulation stuff might be fiberglass and that's not good to have exposed ?

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
That's not a cap it's an air admittance valve.
Insulation not doing any harm unless you start messing with it.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Some amazing code you have in Britain. Apparently its working as designed. Personally I prefer a **** stack out the roof.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts