DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a homeowner just looking for general advice as to whether this is a serious problem or not.

I have several "soft" spots in my subfloor (where you feel the plywood sink a little bit) in high traffic areas like hallways, etc. I'm just curious if this anything to be worried about or just worn plywood? There's no actual damage to these areas (water, fire, etc) and I have checked them from our basement which is unfinished. The home is about 40 years old. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,767 Posts
and I have checked them from our basement which is unfinished.
Ayuh,.... 'n what did you observe when checkin',..??

did ya have somebody walk on the problem spots,..??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ayuh,.... 'n what did you observe when checkin',..??

did ya have somebody walk on the problem spots,..??
Hi,

Just a visual inspection to see if there was any obvious damage. What else do you recommend?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to know whether it's a serious problem without knowing a lot more information.
Hi,

OK can you recommend what else I can check? I did have a structural survey of the home a couple years ago because of another concern and all beams and joists were fine.

·
Registered
37,174 Posts
It was common to use 1/2" plywood that was not T & G in homes that old.
Just never done that way any more.
How thick is the subflooring?
What's the spacing, width, and free spans of the floor joist?

·
Registered
47 Posts
A couple soft spots in my bathroom (although did have water damage) turned int me redoing the whole subfloor which then turned into me just redoing the whole bathroom and the bathroom connected to it. Our home is also about 40-50 yr old and they used 1/2" plywood. Once I took up the OSB even undamaged parts of the plywood subfloor would react to steps.
How many layers of flooring is under the carpet? Meaning Just the plywood, or plywood with OSB on top? You could have someone bounce lightly on the soft spot while you watch from below to see if the plywood flexes. Some of the soft spots we have found in the kitchen are actually just damaged, or maybe worn, OSB but the plywood underneath is completely fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe, need more information though. Do you see any water damage that made it soft? Do you see a seam in the plywood from the basement looking up? If so, then the plywood wasn't sized properly and adding perpendicular blocking could solve it quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts