DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

We just had a heavy rainstorm and my basement collected a lot of water. I've been in this house for approximately one year and this was the first time that I noticed water in the basement. During the storm I observed water leaking from underneath the soffit above the basement window well. I initially thought it was a clogged gutter, but that's not the case. I inspected the attic as best I could during the storm but didn't notice anything leaking. The roofing shingles are in relatively good shape, but I noticed that the plywood around the house is about an inch or two shy of the gutters. There is a gap there, and the singles extend right to the gutter with very little overhang. My question ... Is this my problem? I've asked other people about the plywood not extending to the gutter and most people said it wasn't an issue. However after this evening, I think that it is. I'm thinking that water is finding its way into that gap and leaking through the soffit joints. I was wondering if I could put flashing underneath the roofing shingles to close the gap between the plywood and gutter. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry for the confusion. The house was built in 1965. I'm not sure how old the roof is, but I would guess it was done within the last 15 years. There are two roofs on the plywood. I'm located in New York.

As you mentioned, the plywood is cut about an inch and a 1/2 shy of the fascia. I have aluminum gutters with downspouts in various locations. I will take some pictures tomorrow to illustrate this. I took a video of the soffit leaking, I'm not sure if that helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHmxDuTWJM - Not sure if there is a way of attaching video.

I was thinking that the gap between the plywood and fascia was the problem and that's where the water getting into the soffit. I was considering putting flashing to close that gap? No idea if that's the right thing to do.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Soffits Leaking

I agree the right way to approach this is to remove the shingles and replace the bottom plywood so it's flush with the fascia. That's something I will have to consider doing in the future. As an interim solution, do you think that inserting flashing to close this gap would work to stop water from entering soffits? I have my hands full right now with projects and would like to postpone this if at all possible.

The roofing paper is pretty much flush with the plywood and does not close the gap.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.