DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but here's my issue.

A few years ago we had a new roof installed, that required a ridge vent for the warranty (so the installer said) Our house (single story ranch) had only gable vents at that time. The roof installer added a ridge vent, and soffit vents.

The house is now noticeably hotter during the summer. I was recently repainting my soffits, gables, etc and noticed hot air was hitting me from the downwind side gable vent.

I also have a large opening in my garage to the attic. I've stacked some extra sytrofoam insulation there- but I can feel hot air coming down from there on occasion as well.

Should I block off the gable vents or add a gable vent fan? (I was looking at the solar powered type). I know I've got to do something, and do it soon and this year!

TIA!

·
registered
1,354 Posts
I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but here's my issue.

A few years ago we had a new roof installed, that required a ridge vent for the warranty (so the installer said) Our house (single story ranch) had only gable vents at that time. The roof installer added a ridge vent, and soffit vents.

The house is now noticeably hotter during the summer. I was recently repainting my soffits, gables, etc and noticed hot air was hitting me from the downwind side gable vent.

I also have a large opening in my garage to the attic. I've stacked some extra sytrofoam insulation there- but I can feel hot air coming down from there on occasion as well.

Should I block off the gable vents or add a gable vent fan? (I was looking at the solar powered type). I know I've got to do something, and do it soon and this year!

TIA!
Well first that roofer doesn't know jack. Why? The gable vents should have been closed off with plywood from the inside. Cross ventilation is a no no. Would recomend checking insulation in attic. Making sure the soffit vents are breathing. Meaning the insulation isn't preventing this. Finally go up there measure those gables from the inside. Cut a couple pieces of plywood and close them off. This will stop cross ventilation but it will still make it look like you have gables which looks nice for the exterior. Soffits are intake and ridgevent is exhaust.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts