DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been in this house 8 years, and for 8 winters i have had to work on my furnace. 3 pressure sensors, HSI, but mostly bad connections. i expect this upcoming winter to be no different.

this is what i have. it was here when i bought the house. it heated the house and the basement. the only insulation in the house then was about 4" of matted FB roll in the attic, nothing in the walls. now, i have a bunch of celulose blow in in the attic and about 6" XPS and Roxul in the walls. and the basement has insulation on the walls.

anyway. this is what i am thinking of putting in, but its 17 1/2" wide, mine is 20". otherwise same size.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/60k-BTU-80-AFUE-Multi-Speed-Goodman-Gas-Furnace-Upflow-Horizontal-17-5-Cab/383363220101?hash=item59423a8285:g:7NYAAOSw73Feudti#shpCntId
if you have a better option ?!

so, what do you think ?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
You will need to make or have someone make a transition duct (plenum). If you have the headroom it is no big deal.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Yes but it is the actual Plenum size that matters as that is most likely less than the width of the furnace both now and on the new one.

Reactions: Fix'n it

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
i have been in this house 8 years, and for 8 winters i have had to work on my furnace. 3 pressure sensors, HSI, but mostly bad connections. i expect this upcoming winter to be no different.

this is what i have. it was here when i bought the house. it heated the house and the basement. the only insulation in the house then was about 4" of matted FB roll in the attic, nothing in the walls. now, i have a bunch of celulose blow in in the attic and about 6" XPS and Roxul in the walls. and the basement has insulation on the walls.

anyway. this is what i am thinking of putting in, but its 17 1/2" wide, mine is 20". otherwise same size.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/60k-BTU-80-AFUE-Multi-Speed-Goodman-Gas-Furnace-Upflow-Horizontal-17-5-Cab/383363220101?hash=item59423a8285:g:7NYAAOSw73Feudti#shpCntId
if you have a better option ?!

so, what do you think ?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes but it is the actual Plenum size that matters as that is most likely less than the width of the furnace both now and on the new one.
please forgive my ignorance on terms. but the "plenum", that is the flats of both the a/c box bottom and the furnace flat top, where they meet up ?

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
How do you know 60k is right and that your ducts are suitable?

You can end up under or over-sizing. Going down to 72k - relatively large jump.

The 60k 80% puts out 48k btu/hr which may not be enough for some houses and a little too much for others.

Furnace you've linked to is an el-cheapo single stage mid efficiency and I would invest in something nicer.

I echo tinkerman's question.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just curious as to why you would choose to install an 80% gas furnace in the Chicago area.
my gas bill is pretty low. the return on investment would take, well, there may never be one. i can fix the 80% myself, less and cheaper parts, mostly direct replacement.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you know 60k is right and that your ducts are suitable?

You can end up under or over-sizing. Going down to 72k - relatively large jump.

The 60k 80% puts out 48k btu/hr which may not be enough for some houses and a little too much for others.

Furnace you've linked to is an el-cheapo single stage mid efficiency and I would invest in something nicer.
ok, fair enough. actually, i don't "know", that is why i am asking.
mine says 58k output, and that one says 60k, pretty close to me.
if you have a better recommendation, please say :smile:
the conditioned part of the house is about 1100sf.

yes, i know its not the best, but it has a 10yr warranty, i would be surprised if i am here in 10 years, and most likely will not be. but if your recommendation is in that price range i will have a look.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Just curious as to why you would choose to install an 80% gas furnace in the Chicago area.
My research on the subject for my furnace replacement indicated that in most locations (including Chicago, if I'm not mistaken), high efficiency furnaces tend to create problems with condensation in the ducts, which makes retrofitting older systems with condensation drains in the ductwork recommended, if not required.

They are also significantly more expensive, making the ROI not attractive.

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
You're confusing btu input and output.

Now, for a 1000 sq ft space in the northeast to need 58k output, has to be poorly insulated.

So you may need a smaller furnace after all.

You have some misconceptions about condensing furnaces:

1. They don't produce condensation in ducts - condensate is produced in the secondary heat exchanger and drains off through pipes.

If you don't have a floor drain, need condensate pump which is no big deal. Only if the furnace is in an unconditioned space would i go 80%.

If you have a/c now, should be very easy to drain a condensing furnace.

2. They don't have extra mechanical/electrical parts to go bad, usually they share the same circuit board and controls. If you want the lowest repair costs, stay with single stage.

As far as roi goes, natural gas is extremely cheap now and but could way up. I would not make a 20 year decision based on today's prices.

High efficiency furnaces have advantages beyond saving fuel...

Thanks to sealed combustion, there's no open flame in the house, the furnace doesn't dry out the house due to using indoor air, and there's less burner/inducer noise.

Mids are pretty much obsolete in cold climates, they haven't been available in canada for 10 years.

In the states they're still available because condensing makes no sense in a/c dominant climates. When the heating season is 5 to 6 months, it's crazy to put in an 80%'er.

I do recommend calling a pro because there's much to screw up. The gas and venting work definitely should be done by someone licensed unless you know how to do that aspect of the job safely.

Sheet metal work is very difficult for the novice, it takes a lot of practice to get good. I'm really bad at it.

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
^That one may not be wide enough, existing could be a 17".

·
Red Seal Electrician
290 Posts
Have you checked the rules for doing your own gas/furnace work in your area?

Historically, this has presented problems for me with house insurance, and procuring service parts. That's as a homeowner and Electrician... just sayin.

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
Best to not get a 2 ton psc drive anyway unless the house is a bungalow - no margin for undersized air ducts and they can have a lot of trouble getting cooling up to the second floor.

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
in ontario you can do your own gas work provided the house is not a rental and 100% detached. check codes, don't do it if it's illegal.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts