DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first post. We just moved to So Ca from the K.C. area and purchased a two story house. This house has no soffit vents or roop vents at all. It does have gable vents but the attic is extremely warm as daytime temps get over 95 deg. I am wondering if installing powered gable vents or an attic (whole house) fan would eliminate, ar at least cool the attic? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hi guys, first post. We just moved to So Ca from the K.C. area and purchased a two story house. This house has no soffit vents or roop vents at all. It does have gable vents but the attic is extremely warm as daytime temps get over 95 deg. I am wondering if installing powered gable vents or an attic (whole house) fan would eliminate, ar at least cool the attic? Any advice would be appreciated.
Your gable vent idea will work as long as there's adequate intake from the other gable vents.

·
11,730 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GBR;

I too live in the Temecula Valley region and I am in agreement with you except we don't have the humidity issues that others have closer to the coast. I think the OP's issue is the heat (fairly dry) build up in the attic due to lack of ventilation. I am experiencing the exact issues he is speaking about. I am also torn between ventilating with gable fans or whether the more costly whole house fan (attic fan) is the solution since the builders in this area (code or not) do not ventilate the attics sufficiently.:help:

·
11,730 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately I have a concrete tiled roof and mounting would be an issue. I did install a powered gable exhaust fan by GAF and it works great. Lowered attic temp by about 20 deg. Thanks for the response.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts