DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a semi and I’m sure my neighbour’s stove does not vent outside. We have a hole on our side that vents our stove. I dont see one on their side. How is their’s venting? Is this common? Who do i call to look into this? I can’t take the smell anymore. Please help. Thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts
I assume that you’re referring to a powered fan above the stove that can be used to exhaust cooking vapors to the outdoors. If your neighbour’s cooktop/stove is not located on an exterior wall it could be that the exhaust fan is the sub-optimal kind that pulls the vapors up and through a charcoal filter before releasing them back into the room. In any case, even if your neighbour’s fan exhausts to the outdoors there is nothing that forces them to use it. I’m afraid that you’re not likely to be successful in changing your neighbour’s cooking preferences, so solving the migration of air between your two units would be the best option for you. Other folks on this board can help with this, but one place to start is sealing any electrical receptacles on your side of the common wall.

Chris

·
Registered
17,315 Posts
These help.

Also, a box fan pointed toward the smell. Outside, if necessary.

Do you know what specifically is bothering you? Mercaptan odorant in Natural gas can smell a lot to sensitive people.

Then you need to call the gas man.

·
Registered
17,315 Posts
Sorry, I'm having trouble putting the link for electrical outlet insulators down. Perhaps you could google it. Walmart has them.
( It might be the heavy cans I accidently threw on my laptop!)

·
Registered
8,559 Posts
I live in a semi and I’m sure my neighbour’s stove does not vent outside. We have a hole on our side that vents our stove. I dont see one on their side. How is their’s venting?
their vent my be connected to your vent. when they are cooking smell around your stove to see if its concentrated there.

·
Usually Confused
6,547 Posts
Semi-detached are fairly common up here in urban areas. They were popular in older areas, then fell out of favour and are now somewhat popular again. Because of land costs, you get to have two fully contained residences on one lot. I have no idea what they are officially called once you get over two; I just call them row houses or townhouses.

I have to believe they exist elsewhere - likely just under another name.

housing-types.jpg

·
Registered
347 Posts
That's interesting, here in Michigan we call the semi-detached a duplex. They are fairly common... I've also seen the "other" duplex style with upstairs and downstairs, but it's mostly converted single family homes, don't see it often at all built that way unless you're talking about townhouses and such with 6-8+ residents per building.

·
Hvac Pro
22,732 Posts
The terms are a bit vague. In Winnipeg we call them duplex or side by side. More duplex as you can get 4 of them side by side.

We also have split or bi-levels where the basement is only have the normal depth and made into living space.

Cab overs are where the 2nd story bedroom goes above the attached garage.

Not to many walkout basements here but lots of them in Calgary.

·
Usually Confused
6,547 Posts
Interesting different terms between areas. Around here, you never see the term 'ranch'; they are simply bungalows.

Developers will do just about anything to maximize property lots. Back around the 80s around Toronto, 'link' houses were popular. Basically, a semi (or duplex, whatever) are only connected by a common basement wall so, above ground, they look like they are detached, but zoning allowed them on narrower lots.

All of this enlightenment but I don't know if the OP is any smarter about their problem. I would explore the linked exhaust vent suggestion.

·
Registered
17,315 Posts
Interesting different terms between areas. Around here, you never see the term 'ranch'; they are simply bungalows.
This could be a thread in and of itself. Real Estate terms or house descriptions. The word ranch is from Spanish. Did Canada have many Spaniards or Mexicans? I can look that up. :) I've never lived in a house with a basement & I've lived in a lot of houses.

There are old bungalows in Los Angeles & Hollywood, but, I see those as having less of the open construction that a ranch house has.

·
Hvac Pro
22,732 Posts
Not too many Spaniards or Mexicans or Blacks when we were settling.

Mostly Europeans, Slavs, Scandinavians, Dutch, English, French , Irish immigrants or refugees from some nasty regime or war or economic problems in the 1700's and 1800's and early 1900's.

Now we have lots of Asians and Africans and everyone else including Hispanics.

A LOT closer to just walk over to the US than hike all the way to the Great White North.

·
Usually Confused
6,547 Posts
This could be a thread in and of itself. Real Estate terms or house descriptions. The word ranch is from Spanish. Did Canada have many Spaniards or Mexicans? I can look that up. :) I've never lived in a house with a basement & I've lived in a lot of houses.

There are old bungalows in Los Angeles & Hollywood, but, I see those as having less of the open construction that a ranch house has.
Ha, I've never lived in a house without one (ok, once, but I was just starting out. It was a power dam construction house relocated to town; on blocks, creosoted cedar shakes, interior walls painted Tentest, insulated with sawdust If it ever caught fire it would have been a flash and whoosh, but it was $75/mth!).

Around here, we don't seem to make much of a distinction between styles of single-level homes; they're just bungalows, although some may include that they are Craftsman style or whatever. Other parts of the country may use different terms.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Growing up in the UK, the "semi-" (side-by-side) was one of the most popular housing designs of the 20th century. Cuts down substantially on the land utilization so was popular with builders as cut costs substantially. It was a little annoying not being able to turn up the stereo as a kid!

·
Hvac Pro
22,732 Posts
Visit Amsterdam and you realize how valuable land REALLY is.

Nothing but side by sides there. (y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts