DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have simple in-floor basement heat tubing with boiler. Need simple on and off control with smart thermostat and monitor when I'm away. Have C wire. No frills required other than to monitor and check usage if possible. Maybe separate puck to monitor another floor but not control floor. Sick of current Nest needing constant reset. Have narrowed to either Ecobee lite or Honeywell T-9. Which smart thermostat would you people recommend? Appreciate advice on either or any other thermostat. Every heating contractor has different preference. I've heard them all.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
If you want nice logging, go with the ecobee. If you get a honeywell, don't get any of the RTH... versions. They are generally a good thermostat.

PS. Why does the nest need to restart?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want nice logging, go with the ecobee. If you get a honeywell, don't get any of the RTH... versions. They are generally a good thermostat.

PS. Why does the nest need to restart?
The nest just gets off track about once a month. Starts short cycling and temp is not accurate. A restart fixes it. Common problem on nest.

What is RTH versions stand for on Honeywell?

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Retail honeywells are mostly stripped down versions of the pro models with shorter warranty.
Not bad products at all - they do the basics, not good for dual fuel, dehumidify on demand, controlling humidifiers, etc.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Retail honeywells are mostly stripped down versions of the pro models with shorter warranty.
Not bad products at all - they do the basics, not good for dual fuel, dehumidify on demand, controlling humidifiers, etc.
I find that they are more cheaply made. They tend not to last as long in my antidotal opinion. There's definitely been a few poor results in threads on this site. I've seen a more than a few fail after just a few years. (failed screen, or buttons, etc)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I find that they are more cheaply made. They tend not to last as long in my antidotal opinion. There's definitely been a few poor results in threads on this site. I've seen a more than a few fail after just a few years. (failed screen, or buttons, etc)
These are probably dumb questions but I don't know. I got the Nest free in an energy rebate. So you mean by R that the unit is purchased at a big box store or Amazon? Any by TH, do you mean purchasing the unit from a dealer or heating contractor? Again, I don't know. Are the different units identified by the part number?

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Maybe something has changed because the last one I put in was 10 years ago - every retail honeywell I've experienced has been reliable, even the cheapo ct3200 retail magic stat.
One problem is the professional version has no warranty coverage unless installed by a pro - combined install, then callback for warranty makes it cheaper to just spend money on another one.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
These are probably dumb questions but I don't know. I got the Nest free in an energy rebate. So you mean by R that the unit is purchased at a big box store or Amazon? Any by TH, do you mean purchasing the unit from a dealer or heating contractor? Again, I don't know. Are the different units identified by the part number?
He was referring to honeywells only, nest is made by a different company owned by google.
Nest has a horrible reputation here and elsewhere.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Maybe something has changed because the last one I put in was 10 years ago - every retail honeywell I've experienced has been reliable, even the cheapo ct3200 retail magic stat.
One problem is the professional version has no warranty coverage unless installed by a pro - combined install, then callback for warranty makes it cheaper to just spend money on another one.
It's a traditional consumer device. Roll the dice and the odds are that you'll beat the warranty. A day after warranty and all bets are off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts