DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.... I'm on my last switch to install. I've done 5 others. I thought I had this down pretty well. I am now doing a 4 way. I thought it would be the exact same as the 3 way. For some reason it's not working. One of the switches does nothing. The main switch with power coming in works perfectly. The other 2 do not. One of them turns the light off, but not on. The other doesn't do anything. I could have sworn it is wired right.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
A drawing will likely help.....

Are you sure your 4-way is between your 3-ways and that you've installed the 4 way correctly.... different makers configure their pole screws differently in a 4-way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the diagram. The blacks in both switches 2 and 3 are tied together. Box 2 is actually a 3 way switch that im using as an add on. Do the 2 traveler wires tie together?

The way it is now, Box 3 will turn the light off. Box 1 turns it off and on.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I remove box 2 from the circuit by taking the traveler wires off of the switch, it works like a charm. The neutral wire is good.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
A "Smart Switch" is being used, probably in conjunction with "normal" SPDT switches.

Without knowing the Make/Model of the "Smart" switch concerned - so that the manufactures information can be accessed - it may not be possible to answer the question.

(Note that the interconnecting wires are not "travelers" - in the "normal" sense. They are usually a "Line" and "Control" wire.
Because of this, I suspect that you should have extended the "Line" wire to these other switches and NOT the "Load" wire, as indicated in your diagram.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They're ge smart switches. Are you talking about the red wires? One is line and the other is control? Would it matter if that switch was not an add on, but a main switch? I returned the switch to the store and got another add on.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
They're ge smart switches. Are you talking about the red wires? One is line and the other is control? Would it matter if that switch was not an add on, but a main switch? I returned the switch to the store and got another add on.
You have said only that the smart switch is "ge".

The wiring for this appears to be shown in the second diagram at https://community.smartthings.com/t/wiring-diagrams-for-ge-smart-switches/16716, which is entitled "New 4-Way Switch Wiring".

Only the Red "Control" wire (referred to as "Traveler") and the Neutral (plus Ground) are connected to the Auxiliary switches.
(Neither the "Line" nor "Load" wire is connected to these switches.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats the way I have it. It was the switch. The support at Jaspro said I could use the 3-way switch in place of the add-on switch. (They were packaged wrong-3 way switch was in the add-on box). Anyhow... hooked it up this morning and it worked. It took less than 5 minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts