DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older home, with a low basement, I want to increase the ceiling height as much as possible. the area is about 10'w x 12'l, it presently has 2 X 8 wood joist. how can I sister , or use metal angle or channel, so I can reduce the size of the existing joist to allow more head room?

·
old guy contractor
872 Posts
Assuming you are ripping out all the existing, reframe at 8" or 12" o.c. with a smaller dimension lumber.
You may still get some "spring" but it will not collapse.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
If you have the money and time, you can always use steel I beams, the smallest commercially available are 3 inches deep. You will need an engineer to size the steel for you, and develop the connection details.

·
11,730 Posts
The most you would get with wood is 2" less, using 2x6 joists for that span. Hardly worth the bother. If an older house, many slabs are only 2-3" thick, demo the existing, dig down and pour a new lower slab. Figure the finshed depth to work with todays Codes for stair risers.

Gary

·
Registered
104 Posts
The most you would get with wood is 2" less, using 2x6 joists for that span. Hardly worth the bother. If an older house, many slabs are only 2-3" thick, demo the existing, dig down and pour a new lower slab. Figure the finshed depth to work with todays Codes for stair risers.

Gary

Underpinning a house isn't that easy. Digging down can weaken the foundation. The earth outside will push the foundation inwards. An engineer would be a good idea before digging up the basement.

·
11,730 Posts
Good point, hopefully the op would converse a little more before picking up a shovel.....

Gary

·
old guy contractor
872 Posts
There was a thread in Contractor Talk about a HO who did just that.

He was digging out the basement to gain head room and the house collapsed around him while his wife was at work and the kids were in daycare.

There's a pic with the whole side of the house laying in the side yard and the babies crib hanging over the edge...........:eek:

·
Super Moderator
12,627 Posts
There was a thread in Contractor Talk about a HO who did just that.

He was digging out the basement to gain head room and the house collapsed around him while his wife was at work and the kids were in daycare.

There's a pic with the whole side of the house laying in the side yard and the babies crib hanging over the edge...........:eek:
Where’s the link to that thread?

·
Registered
511 Posts
For a 10x12 room, this is way too much work!!!

I just wouldn't do this.
Ditto.
I'm not certain the money spent for this project payback when its time to sell.
Even if the OP finds an approved engineered lumber/ steel joist size and someone qualified to replace them, there is still the issue of any hvac/electric/plumbing to be removed & replaced. $$$$$

1 - 13 of 13 Posts