DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am moving one of the 2 support screws on our banister that runs to the basement. Whoever originally installed it didn't think to run one of the supports into a stud and when someone came by and put their body weight on it to support them coming up the stairs it ripped it out of the drywall.
I'm in the process of moving the support but the hole that will be left behind needs some repair (Images attached)
The hole is about 1 1/2 inches in diameter but it does go through the drywall. Should I just use joint compound to try to fill the hole? I know there is no backing behind the drywall and I know that's recommended but I don't think I want to cut out a larger hole and add backing and install new drywall in that spot. Can I just use joint compound in combination with spackle or something along those lines and then paint?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
use a utility knife and cut off the edges so the edge are clean.

then take some news paper (with the date on it) and crumple it up and stuff it in the hole.

then patch it with whatever you want.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I filled the hole with a paper towel and applied 3 coats of joint compound (image attached).
I need to sand the compound down so it is flush with the wall. Instead of using sandpaper can I take a wet sponge (rung out) and keep trying to smooth out the area? The compound is a bit raised off the wall as you can tell in the top part of the photo.
Would a damp sponge be able to smooth out that raised portion? I will then try to find the closest paint color to match.

Attachments

·
retired painter
9,879 Posts
I often use a damp sponge on repairs because there is no sanding dust. It works well although if the repair is uneven - it won't flatten it out like a sanding pole/block will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts