DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
what is the best way to level out my back yard and how can i prevent it from happening again? it is slopy towards chain link fence and ravein. i really want to fix the problem before starting planting anything there. would a raised bed along the chain link fence a good idea and would help leveling out the back yard?

tnx.

mf

·
Stay-at-home GC
638 Posts
Pics?

Have you worked with Google Earth or Google Maps before? They have great ways of sharing topographical data

Check out my post "Talk me off this ledge..."

·
Stay-at-home GC
638 Posts
You didn't mention what you were trying to avoid from happening again.

Heavy rain runoff washed away some plantings you had there?

Do you own the land on the far side of the fence?

Reactions: mashal

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If we put more soil to even-out the yard it might washed away over time and we might end up having the slop again .
No, we don't own the land outside of the chain link fece .
Our goal is to even out the lawn and plant all around the fence.

Tnx.
CplDevilDog said:
You didn't mention what you were trying to avoid from happening again.

Heavy rain runoff washed away some plantings you had there?

Do you own the land on the far side of the fence?

·
Stay-at-home GC
638 Posts
If your goal is to increase the elevation of the yard near the fence you could do a retaining wall but I think you would get tired of chasing balls into the ravine.

Depending on the details of the fence construction you could use it as a gabion wall. If it is well built you could pile rubble and crusher against it and then fill with well draining gravel. Landscape fabric 4" below your final grade to keep your topsoil from filtering into your drainage gravel, then topsoil for grass.

IMO that treatment is sinfully ugly from the outside but it is functional and if no one has to look at it....:thumbup:

·
Stay-at-home GC
638 Posts
How's this for professional :no:

Text Line Slope Parallel

·
Stay-at-home GC
638 Posts
The higher you want to raise the grade the sturdier your fence will need to be. If it's more than a few inches I would start reinforcing it.

Undersized and it will start to bulge over time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts