DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
so is there enough of a slope to add shingles?
i was planning on pulling it all up and laying new plywood down and then roofing paper and shingles.

now that you see it, is shingles a good route for me?
or should i replace it with a rubber... whatever that is?
I see a gable (Sloped Roof)coming in from the left. What I said was to continue that gable out past the end of your little vestibule, sheathe it and shingle it. Get rid of the low slope roof all together. About the same work, much better long term results and appearance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You need to get up there and measure the pitch so you know exactly what you are dealing with. It looks too low for shingles, but sometimes photos are deceiving.

If you plan on doing this yourself, I would suggest you hit your local home center or roofing supplier to see what they have available for roofs of your pitch (again, you need to measure 1st). Then you can do some research on the specific options available to you.

From the pics, it looks like you had rolled roofing on at some point, then some type of membrane roof added on top of that (possibly a DIY peel and stick product). I don't like to deal in absolutes, so I'm not saying you absolutely can't put shingles on that roof (I have seen shingles on some very low slope roofs), but it's going to be very risky if that is less than a 2:12 pitch.

In either case, you need to be prepared for potentially some significant deck repairs and possibly some framing repairs when you tear that roof off. You also need to make sure you have a good understanding of the flashing requirements where the roof meets your house.

A small roof like that is potentially a good candidate for a DIY project, but since it's been a couple of weeks since you started this thread and you still haven't gotten around to measuring the pitch of your roof, it may not be a good DIY project for you. You need to take some time to learn a few things before you tackle a low slope roof like that.

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
I gave you a complete specification for this roof a long time ago, and you are still posting about it? After seeing the postage stamp size of this roof and your pictures, Why dont you listen and run out the gable? You need to pry yourself loose of that La-Z-Boy, just like JoeCaption and Yours Truly.

:whistling2::whistling2::whistling2:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I gave you a complete specification for this roof a long time ago, and you are still posting about it? After seeing the postage stamp size of this roof and your pictures, Why dont you listen and run out the gable? You need to pry yourself loose of that La-Z-Boy, just like JoeCaption and Yours Truly.

:whistling2::whistling2::whistling2:
i appreciate your feedback.
the gable, the pitched roof? (sorry i dont know the terminology)_... no im not planning on construction that alters the roof, that requires permits in my area.
i just need the roof fixed before the april/may rains.

i think its best i call in some professionals and let them do it.

ive never did any type of roofing and laying shingles seems easy but without someone who knows being there to point out the small **** that i will probably miss and/or do incorrectly, i could make it worse.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I have to ask ..... why would you want to hide it from the township?

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
that sounds like something I'd hear down south ..... LOL

21 - 29 of 29 Posts