DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i bought my house i knew this was going to be a problem down the line but i have a slop sink in my basement that has my washer draining into it. The drain pipe for the slop sink goes out the foundation wall and i have a stone patio above that i can not dig to find what it drains into. I know it does not drain into the main drain of the house b/c the main drian is in my rafters...

My question is how can i figure out what my slop sink drains into??? maybe a drywell???

Also my slop sink is now really clogged and there is black stuff that smells really bad comming out of it... I have draino poured into it for now and i have wait 1/2 hour to see the results.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

·
1,498 Posts
I would start by NOT putting any more chemicals into the drain. They rarely work and you or a plumber then has to work in the caustic solution.

·
Premium Member
11,958 Posts
prolly a drywell. Check with your sewer dept or bldg. dept for sewer records on your house. They may have the original as-builds for your home. Usually the pit is close to the house- say 10ft or so

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the input... drain did nothing so i am thinking I have a bigger problem... I think the drywells is gone/collapsed. Since its under a brand new patio I can not replace the drywells. I want to get some sort of pump installed. The only things that will ever drain to this is a high efficiency washer, slop sink (hardly used) , sink in my finished basement. Not yet installed so I am not sure how much usage it will get.

I don't mind opening up the concrete floor and installing a basin and pump. I should be able to tap into an existing vent.

I am just not sure what products I should be looking at. Any ideas?

I know I am in over my head and will calling my buddy who is an awesome plumber. I just hate bothering him. He shows me what to do and then comes back to inspect my work and makes changes he sees fit.

Any ideas as to which products I should look at?

·
Premium Member
11,958 Posts
use the search feature at the top and center of this page. Theres been people here asking the same questions.. You should find some good info.

·
Premium Member
11,958 Posts
Just a thought -- I put in a 30gal with a 1/2hp grinder yesterday. It came as a complete package. Cost 500.00 with misc. pipe and parts included. It took 2 of us all day to install, including busting out the floor, digging, piping and electrical. I know its bigger than you need but you might consider something like this. If you ever consider adding a bathroom in the basement you'll have the pump for it.

·
Registered
9,623 Posts
Depending on the height of the sink, installing a basin (holding tank) and waste water pump might be possible on the floor so you don't have to dig a hole in the floor. That is, if you do not foresee installing a bathroom down there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts