DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sister asked if I could put a sliding patio door in place of a large window in the back of her house. The window is about 90" wide so putting in a 72" sliding door should be fine and the header should also be fine since it is more then long enough and has enough height under it for the new door.

So I will need to cut out the wall under the window down to the subfloor. Frame in the wall to the smaller rough opening for the patio door. Then install the patio door. I should be fine with the demo and framing in the new door but have never installed a sliding patio door.

1. What is the rough opening for a 72"x80" patio door?

2. What is the correct way to flash a patio door? Not sure if they come in new construction and replacement doors like windows do? What are the different ways to flash each type?

I've installed a few doors and windows but never a patio door before.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Have you looked at other door sizes that are available? It's quite possible you can find one that will fill the entire width of the window since they are available in many different widths.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Rough opening would need to be 71.5" in most cases. Most 6' SGD are 71" tip to tip.

2. Sill pans are preferred and new construction does give you a bit more of a fudge factor on installation.
I didn't see any sill pans at the box stores. Is there another way to flash it without a sill pan? Should I use some of that sticky rubber(?) flashing that comes in a roll that you use for windows? Place a strip on the subfloor to protect that and then caulk and install the door? Then use that flashing to flash the sides and top?

Have you looked at other door sizes that are available? It's quite possible you can find one that will fill the entire width of the window since they are available in many different widths.
No I didn't look at other sizes and I would rather use the 72" wide door and just frame in the extra space.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Pans are made so that any leaked water will drain to outside. Stick on barriers will do the same although you must be more careful - which is obvious thing to say for us.:smile:
The sliding door frame comes in pieces and the bottom corners are supposed to be made leak proof with foam gaskets. You can make this better with good caulk before the assembly. I don't trust the cheap gaskets over time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.