DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our sliding door is coming apart on the outside of the house. Just one panel. I’m hoping to fix it to buy a little more time before we need to replace it. ( we have way too many expensive repairs that have to happen). Any suggestions on what to use to put it back together again? There is some algae growing inside it. Can I kill that with something first?
Wood Grass Road surface Track Railway
Hand Photograph Leg Plant Wood
Wood Grass Road surface Track Railway

Hand Photograph Leg Plant Wood

·
Registered
351 Posts
Our sliding door is coming apart on the outside of the house. Just one panel. I’m hoping to fix it to buy a little more time before we need to replace it. ( we have way too many expensive repairs that have to happen). Any suggestions on what to use to put it back together again? There is some algae growing inside it. Can I kill that with something first? View attachment 694656 View attachment 694655 View attachment 694656
View attachment 694655
Is this your glass sliding door ? The entire track can be pulled out and replaced. Is the stucco under it gone ?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've worked on one door that was exactly the same. An older Andersen Frenchwood door, I believe. I think that I peeled off the the vinyl cladding on the exterior, then cleaned off the exterior 1/2" of wood, which just happens to be as deep as the glass is, and carefully deglazed the bottom edge of the glass. I replaced the rotten warped wood with a piece of solid 1/2" PVC (like Azek), and caulked it in with OSI Quad. Put a few fasteners through it to fasten it to the door, then filled holes with Bondo and painted it. Then wet glazed the bottom edge of the glass with white silicone. Looked pretty good when I was done.

·
Registered
13,934 Posts
The moss needs to be removed. The space behind the cladding is wet; it'll need to be dry before you can glue the cladding back in place. Maybe you can just put some tape over to keep rain out.

You'll also need to take the door down to clamp the cladding after applying glue.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
here's the pic of the vinyl veneer wood door i worked on that is similar.

You can see the rotten wood in his photo in post 1. In the photo below it wasnt rotten yet but it was warped. The wood was caulked to the glass just like his. caulking removed in photo below.

Hood Window Wood Automotive exterior Automotive tire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts