DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided that I need to go with a professional grade saw for the renovations I'm doing on house. I want a 12" corded compound sliding miter saw, but can't decide on which, so am asking for professional advice here from people who've used one in the real world of construction. I am considering the DeWalt 779, but it does not come with crown stops. I am planning on installing crown later, but likely nothing bigger than 4". I can't afford a $6-700 saw right now, or would go with the 780.

I will seriously take any advice given.

Thanks!

·
Naildriver
14,811 Posts
I have both the Dewalt 779 and a 12" Ridgid slide saw. I don't use crown stops. I use the built in detents on the miter and bevel adjustments for crown and lay the crown flat. So much easier than using the stops. Whichever saw you choose, make sure the motor is offset from the blade axle. That way you can cut taller molding standing up without interference from the motor body.

My Ridgid is mounted on the gurney made for it. Saw is on sale, now at HD for $399, and the gurney for $149.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Mine is the Dewalt 780XPS, I like it. Crown stops are overrated. I often make a guide block that I put behind the crown as I cut it in position (upside down and backward) as a reference. As long as its flush with the top of my guide block, it's good to go. When I need to roll the crown, I just use a guide block that is +/-. (And use the same guide block for the other half of that miter)

779 should be a good saw for you. But I love the xps light.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm really leaning toward the 779, but will likely need to buy an extra 60-tooth blade for crown. Saw is $399 at Amazon right now, $600 for 780. I'm betting prices are not going to go lower, Black Friday or not.

·
Naildriver
14,811 Posts
Not a bad price. Remember you can have them resharpened by a good machinist or tool sharpening pro. I keep 30 or so 10" and 12" blades handy for quick change out. My machinist is very particular with sharpening my blades at 25 cents per tooth. He rolls the teeth through a trough of molten wax which protects the blades from dulling and to keep me from cutting my hands.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think they make a kit to retrofit the 779 with the 780's laser XPS light, but I can't find it. I've heard it can be found on Ebay, but I'm not sure, and don't know what the quality would be.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went looking today. Bought DWS 779 saw at Lowe's for $449. Included a DWX-723 heavy duty stand. Home Depot had same price deal, but stand with it was DWX 725B. So I'm hoping I got a better stand with the combo I bought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts