DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for and am having a hard time finding a hardware kit that would enable two pieces of 1/4" plywood to act as sliding closet doors. The kit would contain a knock-down metal frame to surround the 1/4" plywood as well as the remaining necessary sliding door hardware. Can anyone help me locate a source?

·
Registered
37,180 Posts
Google bi pass doors.

·
Registered
37,180 Posts
Nope, why reinvent the wheel. Those bi pass doors are cheap to buy as a prehung assembly. Why would you want to make one?

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
You could probably use hardware and such usually intended for glass but a 1/4" closet door of wood is too thin to be of much use. Maybe something like tempered masonite will work but I fear it is going to warp like crazy. Ordinarily you would at least cross brace the back of such material.

Would a designer barn door hardware approach, with the hardware on the outside, and hanging panels on the exterior of the opening solve your problem? Something like this but perhaps not glass and more understated hardware?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nope, why reinvent the wheel. Those bi pass doors are cheap to buy as a prehung assembly. Why would you want to make one?
Maybe a custom thing? I could see making some artistic stuff w a router and then using that as a panel for doors.

Altho, plywood tends to get a bit warpy. Especially 1/4". I don't know if that's ideal slider material. But, maybe a good frame would keep it flat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts