DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used slate tile for the shower walls? Is it ok to use? If not what is recommended for showers?

Thanks, Abs

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yup. Yup. Sure.

Depends entirely on your installation and maintenance budget. :yes:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the info. I am a little scared of using it and it's seems like it will be more work to up keep. I will probably just go the ceramic or porcelain route. When doing wall tile is there a special mortar\thinset that you need to use to help it adhere to the backerboard?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
This may be a wise move; as others have intimated elsewhere, slate is a wide description of a stone, much like the word 'granite'...both can mean widely different things to different people, but the common, everyday term is somewhat misleading. Slate is OK for a shower - but only the best kinds of slate, from nearly where I am. Even then, maintenance becomes a huge issue that may people overlook...

If your budget is unlimited and you have the occasional help around the house to do the daily maintenance on your $25,000 slate shower, then go ahead and enjoy yourself. But most people don't have those assets to put aside just for cleaning your body in the morning, so the better route for those pople is exactly the one you chose.:thumbsup:

Reactions: Abs777

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I for SURE don't have that kind of budget. If I had that kind of money I would invest it wisely in women and alcohol.

I feel better about this decision now, thank you.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yeah, me too.:laughing:

I have seen and repaired such showers so I know a wee bit about it. And for sure you won't regret this decision. Yet there are some people who just can't live without the 12-nozzle, overhead pressure jetted, gold leaf taps and the room-sized slate/marble/limestone showers that take an army of cleaners/restorers and stone pros to upkeep. But if you read any of the plumbing bbs you see that thiose who mistakenly put in a slate shower without knowing all about slate showers, usually regret it. Kid you not.:no:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts