DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am getting ready to build 3 bricks columns on my 4inch concrete patio. I would like to know will the 4inch concrete hold up the brick colums?

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
I am getting ready to build 3 bricks columns on my 4inch concrete patio. I would like to know will the 4inch concrete hold up the brick colums?
Do the little 4" bricks (with no steel in them) hold up all the bricks above them? What a load on that first bottom row of bricks!

The trouble comes when you plan to simply build a column on the edge of that slab. The object and function of a pad is just like your own feet... to spread the load of the weight of the body. Spread it out some so the column doesn't exert all its pressure straight down below it. (Imagine walking on just 3" diameter stubs at the ends of your legs.) The concrete in the pad doesn't give way...... the ground below it does, IF the weight is not spread out some... in ALL directions.

"But I'm putting the columns out in the center of the slab... That's certainly spreading the weight out." Think about it. There is a reason you are required to dig the bottom of a footing down to "undisturbed" soil. That is because dirt settles. And that dirt way down in there has been settling for decades. It's packed good. Solid! Not so for the layer of dirt just below your 4" slab. Sure, "compacting" it helped some. But compacting is not all that effective.... especially not the way it is done by the sobered-up drunk they hired to run the little "shaker machine" for a few minutes.

Reactions: Michele1

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok GB here they are so far.

I had the mason leave the top off for now. I want to run some electrical incase I want to light them in the future.

I'm thinking I might have them re-do the top two courses. I'm not in love with the sliver cuts they did. But the columns are true and solid.

The distance between the two columns is 66 inches. I'm struggling with what to do about the gate situation that will be between the columns. I'm having that built to my specs, but not sure if I want a monstrous 5 foot gate. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
looks good!

do a double gate, less weight on each set of hinges. could have a pin (into sidewalk) so that one side opens and the other stays fixed unless you pull up the pin.

of course if I was hanging metal gates off the columns I'd have concrete in the void area to anchor the hinges into

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I kind of ruled out a double gate bc. I think it might be less secure than a single...

I'm leaning towards a 2 foot fence piece then 3 foot gate. Between the 2 foot piece and the gate will be a static post (bolted to walk). Not sure how that would look, but it would cut down the overall width.

Btw. I'm not planning on hanging the gate directly to the columns. I didn't mention this earlier (I wanted to avoid being lambasted), but I allowed space for steel gate posts when I built the footers. I cut the slab (covered by wood in and brick in photo) and put a 8" tube and poured the footer around so I can install the steel posts later. I didn't want the posts in the way of the masonry.

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
A 2 foot fence is "security"?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts