DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

sky light insulation?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Master Brian 
#1 ·
We have a sky light and I'm trying to find out beat Eau to keep heat from it out of the house. We have looked into the special made blinds, but room is slated for remodel in somewhat near future, so don't want to spend $$$ for it to get ruined/wrong color.

In past I've used an old heavy curtain and tacked it up, but liking for something better for now. I have lots of that silver bubble insulation. If I push it towards the glass to reflect the heat could I cause any problems? Mainly thinking cracked glass or fire hazard if too much heat.

Thanks for any replies.....

#5 ·
It is very likely double pane already.

Just see if it has Low-e already and if it doesn't put on the film. If it does, the film can cause the glass to super heat.

How old is the unit and it is curb or deck mounted.
I am not real schooled on the difference, but guessing it would be a curb mounted skylight.

It does appear to be double pane, no idea about low-e, but doubting it as much heat as comes in.

I guess I'll look into a film, is there anything wrong with applying the film over the glass if it already has a film on it?

In the meantime, is the bubble/foil insulation a bad idea? Should I stick with an old curtain? The curtain is basically folded, then tacked with small nails to hold it in place. The sun bleaches the curtain pretty bad, but over the past few years it hasn't caused any issues, but I have been worried about it catching fire as hot as that area seems to get.

#7 ·
You can always put the exterior film on. If you put one on the interior and you have Low-e on the window, it can be an issue.

Not sure about the foil option without seeing the opening and application.
Is there an easy way to determine if low-e is on window? I'm highly doubting it as much heat as goes through the window. My only experience with low-e is on some storm windows I bought. I had the glass for them ordered as low-e on the windows on the south side and it has helped dramatically. I can see the film and feel the difference. From that experience, I'm thinking the skylight does not have it.

My fear on the exterior is how it would hold up in a hail storm as we get those frequently! In fact next roof replacement, the window is likely going away! I don't see much benefit in it....other than not having to turn lights on during the day as often. I'm betting with increased cooling cost, I'd save money if I just used the lights, especially being as most are CFL and being changed to LED.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll see about getting a pic of the skylight and posting it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.