DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing tons of reading on cheap ways of re-finishing my old 1970's kitchen counters. Am debating between faux painted granite with envirotex coating (did a sample of this on a piece of wood, liking it so far) and something I just got reading about called Skimstone by Modern Masters. It's a concrete finish that you trowel on in thin coats. Not sure exactly how it all works yet but would like to know if anyone has tried this product and it's durability. Seems like a concrete skim coating would be more durable than paint. My sample I did with the envirotex coating seems extremely durable however does seem to scratch easily and it's pretty obvious.

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,208 Posts
It's been a while since I looked at the skimstone website. One thing I would be concerned about is the texture. With a kitchen counter you want a smooth easy to clean surface. Not sure, but I think the skimstone would be too bumpy and hard to wipe down.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point about the texture. From a youtube video I watched, the finished result looked pretty darn smooth but hard to tell. I would do a sample board but it's abit expensive. I'm thinking I may just go with the faux granite and several coats of Diamond Varathane by Rustoleum. If anyone has any great ideas for topcoats, I'm all ears! Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts