DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at this project and wondering whether I should skim coat them or hang 4-foot x 12-foot 1/4 inch sheet rock.

There are 6 textured wallpapered walls approximately 6ft x 10ft.

This is a five story walk up so I have to take that into account to. I imagine hauling sheet rock up the stairs is not the easiest thing to do unless I was to cut the boards to size.

Any thoughts/advice?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
i doubt you will find 4x12x1/4 unless you go to a drywall supply house. you might be stuck with 4x8s.

Cant see what you're seeing so its hard to say if skim coating would be better. But its got to be better than carrying drywall up 5 stories.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me see if I get add pics.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13z3YzPqjfW35fi167mz1miAIwHXiOLA8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LBa1ZwkMHKnTXWRRY-BL8RgAW6R2ZKZi/view?usp=sharing,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o3vcX8tp8I_vkNSUzSDEUd87gUNtdoJq/view?usp=sharing

i doubt you will find 4x12x1/4 unless you go to a drywall supply house. you might be stuck with 4x8s.

Cant see what you're seeing so its hard to say if skim coating would be better. But its got to be better than carrying drywall up 5 stories.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
If you are just renewing the finish I would Skim the existing using a Veneer or Venetian plaster. With these plaster coatings sanding is not required, you can have a very smooth finish & add color & texture if selected.
Some samples of products to look at.
#1 San Marco this is a synthetic plaster.
#2 Texston is Lime based
#3 Master of Plaster Lime based & very user friendly.
#4 Atova Venetian Plaster.
#5 American Clay Variance this is acrylic Plaster.
#6 Fresco Lime Based.
Of the above I have used #1 - #2 - #3 & #5 Number 3 was the best that I have used.
Also you could use one of these, USG Diamond Veneer or Gold Bond Uni-Kal the degree of difficulty is high on these two.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The plan is to eventually paint these walls.

If you are just renewing the finish I would Skim the existing using a Veneer or Venetian plaster. With these plaster coatings sanding is not required, you can have a very smooth finish & add color & texture if selected.
Some samples of products to look at.
#1 San Marco this is a synthetic plaster.
#2 Texston is Lime based
#3 Master of Plaster Lime based & very user friendly.
#4 Atova Venetian Plaster.
#5 American Clay Variance this is acrylic Plaster.
#6 Fresco Lime Based.
Of the above I have used #1 - #2 - #3 & #5 Number 3 was the best that I have used.
Also you could use one of these, USG Diamond Veneer or Gold Bond Uni-Kal the degree of difficulty is high on these two.

·
retired painter
13,182 Posts
This wallpaper is not coming off as much as I would love for that to happen. Too old. And even if it does I imagine the clue is going to be a ***** to get off.
The age of the wallpaper shouldn't make a difference. In fact the some of the old paper removes easier than the vinyl papers do. Wallpaper adhesive is water soluble so once it gets wet the paper removes fairly easy [still not a fun job] Score the paper and then mist it with water using a pump up garden sprayer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.