DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so would demoing and gutting the inside of my house as we speak now. when removing all the sheetrock from walls and ceilings. on the top floor where the attic is above the ceiling my wife doesn't like the textured ceiling but we're really not keen on ripping it all down with the insulation above it. someone helping his demo mentioned having someone skim coat the ceiling when they come in there and do all the walls. is that possible? does that make sense and is there any downside to doing that? thanks a lot

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is this a popcorn ceiling or similar? Given that you are working in an empty house I would spray with water to loosen and scrape it all off. Of course if it is old enough to contain asbestos that would be a different issue.

One potential downside to adding a skim coat would be that any future damage from moisture or impacts might take more effort to repair. Even repainting might cause problems if the paint could penetrate into the original texture layer.

·
retired painter
13,181 Posts
Unpainted popcorn scrapes off fairly easy. I take a pump up garden sprayer to get the texture wet. If it's been painted you need to scrape first so the water has a way to get behind the texture and compromise it's bond with the drywall. If you keep asbestos wet it's not hazardous but in dry breathable form it is. Asbestos was banned from residential construction in the late 70s but any in stock was allowed to be used up. 1982 is the date most agree it was no longer used.

IMO repairing a skim coated ceiling is easy. I've never experienced any issues painting over a skim coat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.