1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
In my area they got rid of all the shop classes in schools but spent will over $100,000,000 building new athletic fields.
When you look in the local paper under job ads there all for company's like HVAC, builders, plumbers, boat repair company's looking for people every single week year round.
Not one ad looking for someone that was a track, or football star in high school.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
In my area they got rid of all the shop classes in schools but spent will over $100,000,000 building new athletic fields.
When you look in the local paper under job ads there all for company's like HVAC, builders, plumbers, boat repair company's looking for people every single week year round.
Not one ad looking for someone that was a track, or football star in high school.
Internet vs. Books.

Last week I tried to view some pictures that I put on a disc 15 years ago. I couldn't view it because it the computer didn't recognize the program that created it.

Just a thought.
Give us the internet and it will enlighten you now.
Give us books and will enlighten you forever.

·
Registered
740 Posts
The hourly wage workers which compromise more than 40% of the workforce make less than $18,000 a year and so they are not hiring tradespeople of any kind.

Builders are having trouble finding workers as they laid off everyone in 2008 and most people got jobs that provided a regular paycheck. Now if someone coming out of high school want to learn a trade there is no one to train them and the unions which have been under attack for the past 70 years have largely eliminated their apprentice programs.

But for the people who have arrived here from Mexico we would have very few plumbers or electricians or carpenters or painters or roofer or concrete or landscape workers. Fortunately these people are much harder workers than the average native born white guy.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
The hourly wage workers which compromise more than 40% of the workforce make less than $18,000 a year and so they are not hiring tradespeople of any kind.

Builders are having trouble finding workers as they laid off everyone in 2008 and most people got jobs that provided a regular paycheck. Now if someone coming out of high school want to learn a trade there is no one to train them and the unions which have been under attack for the past 70 years have largely eliminated their apprentice programs.

But for the people who have arrived here from Mexico we would have very few plumbers or electricians or carpenters or painters or roofer or concrete or landscape workers. Fortunately these people are much harder workers than the average native born white guy.
WOW! who's been feeding you that garbage.????????????????

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,964 Posts

Maybe where you reside, but most of that is not true in my area, and I spend every weekday on jobsites.....

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Maybe Alaska took all of the builders/constructors in his area... We can't get enough of em up here to build houses and repair earthquake damage - and we pay well too.

Reactions: Bondo

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
People dont think of plumbers as high paying jobs but i know plumbers making more than medical doctors. At least they did before their jobs were cancelled. Many of those pipeline jobs that were shut down paid over 100K a yr.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
My son owns 2 residential roofing companies. He has a 5 man crew that outworks all his other crews. He pays them by the square and it amounts to about $20k per week, roofing a house per day. Too bad a lot of young people don’t want to put down the bong and work that hard. They could afford to get out of mommy’s basement.

Reactions: udraft and turbo4

·
Big Dog
3,762 Posts
One of my nephews went to diesel mechanic school right out of high school. He had his certificate in under a year and was immediately hired on by a lumber company to help maintain their heavy equipment. Before he even turned 25, he and his girlfriend were looking for a house to buy.

My other nephew went to commercial truck driving school and earned his CDL. He now drives a tanker tractor-trailer. His employer has been very impressed with him and will reimburse his school tuition after six-months on the job.

Well paying skilled trade jobs are out there for the taking but they are not being encouraged to high school students. Instead they fill there heads with the false notion that success is only achieved with a college degree.

Go to Starbucks and see how many servers have degrees but cannot get a good paying job because like idiots they got degrees in nonsensical fields like philosophy, gender studies and art history.

Reactions: turbo4 and huesmann
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.