DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running to a subpanel in a workshop 30 ft from my house. My house service is 200 amp. I plan to run a total of 135 ft to the workshop from a 60 amp breaker in my main panel with either 6-3 copper, or 2-3 aluminum to a sub-panel. 30 ft of the run will be underground, which I can put in conduit. If I can get the aluminum for less than the copper, should I go with that?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I'm not an AL fan, especially underground.

And, will #2 fit in the 60A breaker lugs?

And, you won't be using 6/3 in the conduit (unless it's underground rated wire), you will be using three #6's and a #10 ground (THWN).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wire I am looking at on Craigslist is described as " #2 ALUMINUM TRIPLEX OVERHEAD OUTSIDE WIRE ". Does this sound like wet rated wire? Could I put this in conduit?

·
electrical contractor
181 Posts
It is probably wet rated, most tri-plex is, but you will have to add the ground conductor, and runn it in conduit if it is not rated for direct burial.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you mean that I would either have to use underground rated 6-3 wire or use separate threaded #6 wires plus gnd (#10?)in conduit? Once inside the house and workshop, I would still have to use conduit to protect the conductors, right?

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Option 1 - direct burial wire with 4 wires
Option 2 - individual wires in conduit, entire run
Option 3 - cable with required wires in conduit, conduit sized for cable

In all options the wire must be wet rated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts