DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello gents.
We cleaned up our basement and decided its time to provide cooling and heat. My wife does laundry down there and gets chilly in the winter.
I am down there during the summer and would enjoy some AC.
This AC would only be used occasionally when we need it.

The space is 1300 sg ft. Totally open with no walls. 75% underground. Concrete block outer wall.
So its never too hot down there and never goes below 50f in the winter.
Using the internet, BTU of 20 per square foot gives me 26,000 BTU.

Do I really need this big of a wall AC? I sure hope not?

Oh...EDIT. This is a through wall AC type unit. Just like window mount.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
How would you get the unit through the wall if the area is 75% undergrade?
No, you don’t need that many BTU. Systems aren’t sized via square footage. Most basements need small amounts of conditioning and dehumidification. A small minisplit heat pump would do the job.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How would you get the unit through the wall if the area is 75% undergrade?
No, you don’t need that many BTU. Systems aren’t sized via square footage. Most basements need small amounts of conditioning and dehumidification. A small minisplit heat pump would do the job.
Thanks. One end of the basement is on grade. So wide open for a through wall/window style unit.
Everything I have read says you size by BTU and square foot. Thats how I came up with my numbers.
How do you size another way? I'm not an HVAC guy. I'm an electrician.
So I can easily get the 30 amp circuit over there. If I need a 30 amp circuit.

I thought about the split unit. But a medium size wall mount AC/heat would be a whole lot less money. Plus I can install it myself.
It would not be run/on all the time. Only when we need it. So thats why I was considering the wall/window type unit with remote.

Thanks John V

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Sizing is done via heat load. Not square footage.
Over 2 tons for a basement mostly below grade is crazy big. Could probably get away with at least half of that tonnage. Not to mention it would never dehumidify.
www.loadcalc.net

1 - 8 of 8 Posts