DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to home depot yesterday to get a replacement AFCI (SMH) and I found one of these babies:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-CH-Type-20-20-Amp-Single-Pole-Tandem-Circuit-Breaker-CHT2020/100574073?MERCH=RV-_-OD_SearchPLP_rr-_-100052249-_-100574073-_-N

I have never seen one before but in my need of panel space for lack of breaker slots I thought this would be great if I could have two circuits in one breaker slot.

The guy at the store said it can do two separate circuits each using its own 20A load (not sharing one 20A load), but in my usual pessimistic way I figured that is too good to be true and there must be some catch here so I wanted to run this past you guys to let me know the PROS and CONS of this setup versus a dedicated Single Pole 20A breaker.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,866 Posts
What he said is correct.
That is 2(20) circuits that take up one breaker slot.
Each circuit requires its own neutral.

Something you need to look out for, some panels do not allow the use of tandem breakers.

The info on your panel will state if they are allowed.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Space saver only. Yes, two 20 amp individual circuits for two(2) 120 volts circuits.
Breaker only lands on one leg of panel and cannot provide 240 volts.
The guy at the store was correct.
If you need two 120 volt circuits and have room for only one, this will do it.

You must make certain your panel will accept and is rated for tandems. Should not be an issue. The labeling on the panel door should tell you this information.

·
Licensed electrician
13,390 Posts
These will not work if you need AFCI protection.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks. I will check the info on the door and see if it allows it. My breaker box is about 15-16 yrs old (at least) so I hope it does allow it.

Jim,

Thanks in this situation I am not looking to replace an AFCI. This would be replacing a current non AFCI breaker. The AFCI, I came into the store for was for a different circuit.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
My breaker box is about 15-16 yrs old (at least) so I hope it does allow it.
The age isn't a major factor, particularly for your relatively young box. It is more of a specific model question. For example, If you have a 30/40 box (30 slots/40 circuits) it will take tandems. If you have a 40/40 box, it will not.

With a 30/40, there are 10 specific spots in the box that would take the tandems, so you might have to rearrange some breakers or wiring to get two specific circuits onto a tandem.

In a box where the slots are one half of the circuits (eg 20/40) every slot will take a tandem.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went and checked out the instructions on the panel door and no where do I see anything about tandem breakers. Although maybe the verbiage is different than what i am looking for. I took a couple of pictures and will try to upload them to see if I missed something.

·
Licensed electrician
13,390 Posts
The label will be inside the panel along with a wiring diagram . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts