DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Simple way to frame small space for drywall?

997 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Colbyt 
#1 ·
Images of the area in question

Hi guys,

With the help of others in the forum, I have insulated a small space in my basement that has been nothing but concrete (Under the mainfloor fireplace) for years. :vs_karate:

It is insulated with blue rigid foam on the walls and the ceiling.
Now I would like to cover this rigid foam with drywall.
The visible area to cover is now 52" wide x 28" deep

-What would be the simplest way to achieve this?
-Could I build a wooden frame on the interior out of 2x2 wood, followed by screwing in 1/2" drywall at each of the corners?
-What would you do?​

Thanks!
(It's crazy how many sections of this forum can apply to one project!)

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, the blue foam you see in the picture is 2" blue foam adhered to the concrete foundation.

Now I have to make a wall, but 2x4 seems like overkill for this small area where I have stored boxes in the past, and will store boxes again in the future.

I'm wondering if I can get away with "smaller wood" for framing here, where I will put up drywall.

#4 ·
You could get by with perhaps 2x3 wall. Depends if you need electrical boxes or outlets. Another way is to use strapping and tapcon through the strapping and foam into the concrete. I'm sure there are other fasteners out there that would be better for this, but you get the idea. But joes idea would be the easiest.

#6 ·
Another question from me!

Since I have 2" rigid foam against the concrete foundation, could I just use metal studs instead of wooden studs?
Or would I have to worry about condensation?

Sorry for all the questions.
All I've been able to read about is home renovation forums for the past week :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.