DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, nice forum thanks to the posters for making it so active :)

i want to replace the switch to outside porch light with a timer one.. its not a three way, simple single pole
here is the schematic-

problem is the switch in wall is only 2 wires... :whistling2:
the orange line goes into a nut with several other orange ones(live? i killed power and have no idea what im doing!), and the red goes ?? out to porch? sorry about lousy pic :eek: the other 3 switches control outside tall porch light, and other foyer lights.

hope there is enough info to go by, i hope you can advise! :huh:
pdf- http://www.jascoproducts.com/suppor...entLibraryManager/upload/15086-Manual-eng.pdf
similar thread- http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/wiring-ge-smart-digital-timer-3-way-switch-64189/

THANK YOU!:thumbup:
i was guessing
1. orange-> black
2. red-> red

·
Electrician
1,404 Posts
Your missing the neutral but it could be in the switch box. You just have to make sure the neutral is for the hot you are useing. Are all three switches on the same circuit if they are and there is a joint of white wires then that most likely your neutral.

·
Super Moderator
23,958 Posts
The single red wire is the one on the top right of the drawing.
The red wire from the group is the black on the top left of the drawing.
The only problem is you need to find the bottom neutral connection in the drawing. If there is a group of white wires in the box that is the neutral connection for the switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks guys, it didnt work so my lazy ass finally unscrewed the other 3 switches :jester:
(buncha orange->black
buncha white-> white
red->red(goes to switch two
green-i just capped off.. )

from left to right- to clarify 1,2 are both outdoor door lights (1- left and right od door) and outdoor ceiling lights(2)- i just want to put (1) on to a timer...
1- timer switch i wanted to replace bunchof orange/ red
2- single switch to seperate outdoor light red from 1 / yellow?
3- indoor ceiling cans all purple wires... did not touch
4- indoor changelie all purple wires... did not touch

hopefully the red going to switch 2 threw me off? :wink:
im thinking-
red is the live power now
1a.red from switch 2-> black
1b.red from timer -> orange (which is splits to outside lights left right of door)
1c.white from timer -> neutral white existing
1d. ground :)
2-red live, yellow goes to light?
thanks again

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Yes (to your bottommost paragraph).

Also you need to connect up ground wires, using short lengths of bare wire and wire nuts as needed. Connect together the green wire, the box itself, green or bare wires accompanying the other wires entering the box, and the metal strips of the other two switches. Optionally you can get special little clips to squeeze between the other two switches and the box where they screw onto the box so no piece of bare wire has to run to those switches.

Reactions: chented
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.