DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Simple hole question

1992 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  oh'mike
Hi. I have a hole in my wall as a result of poor use of wall anchors to hang a curtain rod. I imagine this is a pretty standard repair but I want some advice before I fix. I'm a brand new home-owner so learning as I go. My questions are:

- do I need to use a patch/tape for something this size?
- do I need to prime over the torn wallboard before putting joint compound?
-on the other side the holes are the same size but the holes are clean through like the top hole here. Same procedure?
- could you please spell out the steps for me?

Really appreciate.

See less See more
1 - 1 of 11 Posts
The holes look to be borderline on the need for mesh tape or screen. If you go without mesh, it may take two or three coats to get it flush as the drywall compound shrinks as it dries, leaving a slight depression in the center. The mesh will help minimize that shrinkage at the center and may cut down on the number of coats. You might try the self-adhering mesh screens - they seem to be a bit thinner than the mesh tape and easier to cover without causing a hump in the wall.

Here's a good step-by-step article with video -
1 - 1 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.