DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - newbie homeowner.

I undid the switches and tried to put a fancy WiFi switch but it didn’t work. (Has 4 connections, line, load, neutral, ground)

Since it failed I tried to put it back . Now I can’t figure out how it was wired, but I know that the circuits powers 3 things off 2 switches.

1) ceiling Fan
2) Outlet (other side of wall- always on)
3) Ceiling light

I identified the line and load wire that has 120v when connected via multimeter. The other blacks and reds only show 18v when I use the multimeter.

I know that one switch had an extra black power to connect the the second switch.

I know that the black/red that is not powered was twisted together and had another small piece of wire sticking out (small red in pic).

I just gotta figure out how to get the circuit back to normal. Please help, I feel stupid. Koi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Hi Koi, you are not alone.

I'll get you started and electricians better than me will be along.

First, is your multimeter a digital or dial reading? Some meters are sensitive to phantom readings so those 18v readings may not really be there.

I can see two cables entering the bottom of that box and I know there are more. Make a list of all cables you see coming in and the number of conductors and color. Put that list into a vertical column on the left side of a sheet of paper.

Now make a list of all devices being powered from those switches, again a vertical list but on the right side now.

Leave out the bare copper and label the wires you know and with pencil draw a connection between switches and devices.

As you fill in the connections it usually becomes obvious where other wires need to be connected.

May seem like a silly exercise but it dos help to unscramble the birds nest we are seeing.

Pros will be along.

Bud

Reactions: PBJ*

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.