DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own any Siemens 2-pole GFCI? When installed on supposedly compatible Siemens panel or load center like the Siemens P1224B1100CU

There is a gap between the bus bar stab and spring clip where you can insert feeler gauge, and only the bottom has electrical contacts. Someone told me there should be no gap in compatible breaker and panel so there is no arcing, melting, heating and burning.

This is the reason I still haven't installed the panel and GFCIs in the wall. It will be the one I'll connect ground to the transformer centertap.

Kindly look at your 2-pole Siemens GFCI and panel to see if such gaps are normal. Note when I tried the Siemens regular QP breaker, there is no gap.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
What size gfci are you talking about?

How about measuring gap when not installed and then thickness of tab. From this you can see how much interference fit exists in the tab. The nature of the spring mechanism does lend itself to perfect parallel surface area contact. The contact to tab design is robustly designed and vigorously tested by the manufacturers in addition to millions of in service units.

Go buy a cheap 2P breaker and compare it as well (same current rating).

You might have a defective breaker but you might be looking for a problem that doesn’t exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What size gfci are you talking about?

How about measuring gap when not installed and then thickness of tab. From this you can see how much interference fit exists in the tab. The nature of the spring mechanism does lend itself to perfect parallel surface area contact. The contact to tab design is robustly designed and vigorously tested by the manufacturers in addition to millions of in service units.

Go buy a cheap 2P breaker and compare it as well (same current rating).

You might have a defective breaker but you might be looking for a problem that doesn’t exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Siemens customer service said the gaps were normal. All the Siemens QF230A and QF260A I bought at Amazon and GFI Warehouse have the same gaps.

In 1998. Siemens recalled 144,000 GFCIs because of bad spring clips, etc. https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1998/cpsc-siemens-energy-automation-inc-announce-recall-of-gfci-circuit-breakers-used-with

I'm trying to get in touch with Siemens Engineering to check it out. It's possible it is time for another recall for hundreds of thousands of GFCIs. This is one reason I still haven't installed them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just received a message from Siemens customer service:

"I had a meeting with engineering on this yesterday. They would like to have you return the QF260A & QF230A for better analysis in the lab.
In exchange, we can ship you replacements to install. Please advise a good ship to address for these breakers.
Thank You!!
"

Darn. I just spent $60 for shipping of the 6 GFCIs from the US to the Philippines. Now I have to ship it back to Siemens and they need to ship me another 6 pcs.

Doesn't anyone have any Siemens 2-pole GFCI breakers here?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts