DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently wind took off a few pieces of siding from my house :eek: and now I have the pleasure of reattaching it. The only problem is that the vinyl siding looks like it was attached to some sort of material that resembles drywall. Nails and screws pull right out of it. Any one have any ideas on how to fix this or is this a major project that involves replacing the exterior walls? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
does it have a black or yellow paper on it?That would be a gypsum based exterior sheathing,pretty common, you have to find the studs to reattach the panel too

good luck with the repair:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The inside and outside of the board looks like brown paper. On the outside there is a layer of felt over it and then tyvek on top of that. Finding studs is going to be a problem since they're about 24" apart and if i'm lucky i'll maybe hit one of em. Ugh my next house will definitely need to have wood walls instead of this gypsum board.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
you could try some coarse threaded pan or washer head screws,or even some of the products they have for hanging objects on drywall

don't tighten them too much,they will most likely just strip out

put 1 every 12'' or so,if it's just a panel or so you should be ok

but you have to keep an eye on it and repair this kind of thing as quickly as possible

once you have some panels missing it alot easier for wind to catch it and cause more damage

·
Registered
275 Posts
how old is the house?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts