DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these odd areas to side today up front.
I have J-channel up and grey starter strip ready, but that cutout is baffling me.
How the heck would any of you guys do the area marked?

Thanks!

DM

Attachments

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
If you side all the way up the wall, how do you deal with the soffit up the gable end?
Wouldn't you install a 2x4 along the house face even with the fascia and side up to that. Then install the soffit material up the gable end?

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem was that the gable stuck out farther than the wall over an inch. I took care of THAT problem but this one has me stumped.
The ground to the gable is already sided.
Maybe I need to ask for a picture, or someone to edit the one(s) that I took/take?

DM

·
Not so new
969 Posts
If you side all the way up the wall, how do you deal with the soffit up the gable end?
Wouldn't you install a 2x4 along the house face even with the fascia and side up to that. Then install the soffit material up the gable end?

C,mon DM, think about it.:whistling2:

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no venting going on there, so I do not plan on adding soffit. I was planning on just painting it white. Who's going to even look up there?
I just want to figure out how to deal with the notch. Add a piece of J-channel under the cut edge the last 18" or so on the left side and J-channel the 4" vertical drop on the right?

Thanks!

DM

Attachments

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I would box in the soffit similar to this (Google pic). I’d also run the gable soffit first then butt the siding J up to it. Notice in the pic the gable is also proud of the main wall.

^ This. I just couldn't get it worded a way I thought was clear enough to follow, so appreciate Ron and Ron chiming in! :thumbsup:

·
Not so new
969 Posts
There is no venting going on there, so I do not plan on adding soffit. I was planning on just painting it white. Who's going to even look up there?
I just want to figure out how to deal with the notch. Add a piece of J-channel under the cut edge the last 18" or so on the left side and J-channel the 4" vertical drop on the right?

Thanks!

DM

..Yes

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm wrapping the fascia board in alum. so I don't think bats will be a problem. Nothing for them to get a grip on.
Good thought though. Although as bad as the skeeters are this year, I'd welcome as many as wanted to hang out here! :laughing:

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kinda what I figured.... My concern was the "upside down" piece of J-channel.
But being as it's under the overhang, I just don't see that much rain getting to it. I know it looks weird, but as soon as I'm done with this place and getting more jobs, someone ELSE is going to be hired to do Hardi on the whole place.
If my budget allows it, I may even go brick. :)

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm... I didn't think of that. I have some left too.... Oh well. It looks ok with the J! I already have the first piece on.
Like I said, it's as temporary as I can afford it to be!

DM

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
you should think of the big picture and try to visualize how things need to go together before you start D.M:(your teminating the siding/soffit transition in the gable wrong,Dex is right,your making a bat condo:huh:

there is really not too much you can do at this point with the area above the corner except close the end of the frieze with a L shaped cap

your corner post looks a little wonky at a highly visible area....sorry

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bats need a surface to hold onto, there will be none. The corner vinyl piece got moved to the proper spot today too.
I've never sided before, I think I did pretty damn good for a first try?
Also, like I said before, this is temporary.

But Thanks for the input!

DM

1 - 20 of 22 Posts