DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time home buyer with a weird issue. After the first major downpour since moving in multiple windows leaked, and water was draining into one of the kitchen cabinets. After caulking up the windows I have had no issues with them. One of the windows is located more or less directly above the cabinet in question, so I figured this should solve the problem. However, since the caulking we have found water on multiple occasions in the cabinet and pooling on the counter below, see pictures 1-3. Oddly enough these puddles appear overnight and do not follow rain. While I suppose this could be a plumbing issue, I feel as though this could be related to leaks in the siding or condensation forming between the siding and the building

The siding is definitely not in great condition. Looking at the siding, I see a bulge located directly below the gutter; this bulge is above the window that leaked, located above the cabinet. See pictures 4-6.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this before? I haven't found anything similar yet. What would the fix for this be, aside from just all new siding? If I wanted to call in outside help in diagnosis, should this go to a general contracter, a siding company, who else? Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

·
retired framer
38,871 Posts
If a window has been leaking for a long time some repairs will be needed below it.
The least destructive way to prove it is the window at fault would be to remove some drywall below it and inspect the insulation and sheeting and framing for water and damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a ton. With the windows already installed, what would the remedial step be at this point aside from just removing and reinstalling them with flashing?

·
retired framer
38,871 Posts
Thanks a ton. With the windows already installed, what would the remedial step be at this point aside from just removing and reinstalling them with flashing?
There is no short cut. It would have to come out and be installed properly.

I would do an inspection thru the drywall first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts