DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking over a building in Brooklyn and the sidewalk is in lousy shape. It has a lot of cracks, grass growing through some parts, and potholes in some parts. I don't have any prior experience owning buildings and recently learned fixing it is my responsibility. I used servicemagic for some names and these guys all want to replace the whole sidewalk which is great for them but expensive and likely unnecessary for me.

There are currently no violations. I'm wondering if anyone out there has advice on where to find someone honest, and what is the most reasonable thing to do. I'm thinking they should replace only the squares that are creating a trip and fall hazard, and just patch the cracks everywhere else. Does that make sense? Should I bother with a permit or will that just get me inspected unnecessarily? Is it worth paying for someone licensed and insured? Also, is $7 per square foot reasonable, and should that include ALL expenses (labor, waste removal, concrete, etc.?) I keep getting quotes up to $25 sq. ft. excluding all kinds of stuff.

Any help is appreciated. I know nothing about this.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
If the sidewalk is in the common area, where the city claims it as right away, I would contact them. Most cities will ask building owners to chip in the cost for materials, and they supply the labor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Under NYC law the city has nothing to do with repairing the sidewalk. I'll post some photos or a video tomorrow...

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
You need to be bonded, licensed, and permitted to replace public right-of-way sidewalks in every municipality here. In a city that's heavy-handed enough that they feel they should control your soft-drink consumption, logic tells me you'll need to meet all of these requirements there............

I can't think of much to improve the existing walk w/o a minimum of a picture or two........

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the sidewalk hasn't been repaired in decades. Maybe not since the 1950's. The unanimous opinion seems to be the entire thing needs to be changed. I feel like an idiot spending almost $10,000 to rebuild the darn sidewalk, which I feel is clearly the city's responsibility. Oh well, cost of doing business I guess. Thank you all for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts