DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

3001 - 3020 of 3057 Posts

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,001 ·
Considering that we are still getting below freezing overnight temperatures here, the little greenhouse is starting to produce an awful lot of seedlings. Val has Salvia, runner beans, peas, corn, an unlimited supply of kale, spinach, red peppers, and a whole lot of flowers that I have already forgotten.

Some of the non-veggie type plants which we stole cuttings of last year are growing, and some are not. Maybe it is still too early for some of them to be showing just yet, so we will wait patiently for Mother Nature to do her thing. I seem to remember the deer taking a round or two out of some of the cuttings last year before we put the pots in the greenhouse for the winter.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,002 ·
Here's some of the overpriced stuff we brought back home with us from our two back to back trips in to Kamloops yesterday and today. At 225 kilometres per round trip it's not something we like to do any too often.

And will you get a load of that carpet that Val has put down under the soon to be elevated beds? The intended purpose is to try and thwart weed growth, but she has that filter cloth under there as well, so why the carpet on top of that, I really don't know. She further says that she's going to add some cedar mulch as well....

·
Super Moderator
14,301 Posts
Your cedars must be different from ours, ours don't make a mess that I know of. Come to think of it, I don't remember checking to see either. Buddy y'all have come a long long way on your place there, totally different from a few years back. Sure is looking good.

I love plants, I just don't take the time that is necessary for them, way to many irons in the fire.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,004 ·
Your cedars must be different from ours, ours don't make a mess that I know of. Come to think of it, I don't remember checking to see either. Buddy y'all have come a long long way on your place there, totally different from a few years back. Sure is looking good.

I love plants, I just don't take the time that is necessary for them, way to many irons in the fire.
Morning Jim... The cedars we have here are Western Red Cedar, very occasionally we will see a Yellow Cedar, although I have not seen any of those up here in the Shuswap Area. I'm not certain, but the Yellows may be confined more to the coastal area. I already swept up the winter mess that the one big remaining cedar made on the back walkway, otherwise I could take a pic to show you. If I remember from my boatbuilding days, you have a White Cedar over on the east side of the U.S. Is that what you have in Tennessee? Or is it yet another one? Is it the aromatic cedar you have there?

In my haste yesterday, right after we got home, I started to attempt to assemble the framework for the elevated beds. It didn't go well. For starters we used 8" Ardox spikes to put the first few pieces together and of course they are longer than two 4 x 4's nailed together - which are actually only 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 - so we had one inch of nasty looking steel sticking out of one side. OK, so that's obviously not going to fly. I was certain that we had a full box of the 6" Ardox here somewhere, but I couldn't find them.

After I wore myself out trying to take the incorrect pieces apart, which didn't work either, I remembered where the 6" spikes were. Let me tell you, once you get those 8" spikes through that pressure treated lumber, it simply will not come apart.

So this morning as it is dawning and 39ºF outside, it is back to the drawing board once again.

The forecast today is showers this morning and clearing later this afternoon, so I should have plenty of time to come up with a better plan than yesterday. I will keep an eye on the local radar to see when these showers might come to an end. It's the old story of "What follows two days of rain in B.C?" Monday!

·
Super Moderator
14,301 Posts
Keith, we have the aromatic cedar down this, I don't think I have ever even seen a photo of a western cedar tree.

I don't know what a Ardox spike is but I can imagine it being driven through treated wood would be really tough to pull.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,006 ·
Keith, we have the aromatic cedar down this, I don't think I have ever even seen a photo of a western cedar tree.

I don't know what a Ardox spike is but I can imagine it being driven through treated wood would be really tough to pull.
Jim, Ardox is just a brand name for one of the varieties of big galvanized spikes. We have some in 6", 8" and 10". They are used for things that you don't ever plan on pulling apart. If my addled brain remembers tomorrow, I'll take a pic to show you. They have a slight twist to them as well, just to make sure you can't pull them out.

Reactions: BigJim

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,007 ·
The drizzle stopped right around noon today, but it didn't warm up at all until mid afternoon. We did make an attempt to get underway on the elevated beds, but what with my game knee and now Val has a terrible pain in her right Achilles tendon, we didn't make a lot of headway, but it is at least a start.

The intention is to have 5 sections of elevated beds attached to one longer one that runs off the back end. Only have a few starter pics, which really don't show much. I think it's going to take another couple of days before what we are attempting becomes somewhat obvious.

All you see here is just the base that will hold the elevated beds. Two started, three more to go. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow and Tuesday, so once the market is closed, 1 p.m. local time here, I will get outside and see what further damage I can do. Believe it or else, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do this.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,008 ·
First order of business Jim...here's a couple of those big spikes. The little guy is a 6", other one is 8", and to be honest, I forgot all about looking for a 10". For size comparison, that's a 28 oz. Estwing hammer. The twist is pretty obvious in those spikes.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,009 ·
It was minus 1ºC here this morning when I got up, but it was clear. Turned out to be a beautiful day and I saw almost 20ºC when we stopped building outside. We stopped early today because Val made us our belated Easter dinner today which was delicious and all too fattening!

It is slow going mainly because my get-up-and-go got up and went several months ago. After just a very few minutes of any sort of mildly heavy work, I get quickly exhausted and have to rest. It's really aggravating after all those years when I could carry on all day long without even thinking about it. I suppose that's one of the inconveniences of middle age!

However, between rest periods I got some more of the framing done, which - as you can see - is heavy stuff. I'm using both the 6" and 8" spikes for the assembly.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,010 ·
Please note that we removed all that carpet and filter cloth which Val hastily put in the way, in order that I can get half a chance to level the pier blocks. Plus we also unloaded the rest of the blocks and the plywood from the trailer, another half a ton of moving to do. She will put the offending items back (filter cloth and carpet) once I am finished building the Taj Mahal of elevated beds.

The framework made for a decent place to start cutting the plywood up, just about the right height.

Reactions: 123pugsy

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,011 ·
The ground here isn't exactly level, and we wanted to try and keep the top of these beds somewhere around 30", give or take. The near corner in the above pic has ended up putting the top of the bed closer to 33 or 34 inches. Val says she's OK with that. From there, everything will be getting lower.

And yes, I'm trying to keep the whole shebang somewhere near level. So as the ground rises, the top of the beds will become lower. That way Val can pick and choose which plants will be going where.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,012 ·
Once the woodworking portion of this little exercise is finished, we will be lining the insides with filter cloth.

The plan is to have a couple of inches of drain rock in the beds first, followed by the filter cloth and finally the topsoil.

Jeff, our man who moves the heavy stuff here for us, is visiting in Alberta at the moment, but expects to be back in B.C. later this week. Hopefully I will have time to get most of the beds built by then. Once the frame is all finished, I don't think it will take too much time to add the plywood.

More good weather in the forecast, so I plan to make the most of it while it's here.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,013 ·
Today was another gorgeous day here, it stayed sunny until around 3 o'clock or so when the overcast started to come in. Showers are due to start at any time now (it's just after 8:30 p.m. our time as I write this). Then it will be showers tomorrow and a mix of snow and rain on Thursday.

We didn't do too badly, got all the framing finished and Val got some of the side boards nailed in place. Heck, I even let her nail a couple of the end 4 x 4's on.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,014 ·
When we knocked off for the day, the main framing was all sheeted with the pressure treated plywood. It doesn't look as though we will be back at it until Saturday now, it will be weather troubles until Thursday and Friday I have to go into North Kamloops for a Covid vaccine shot.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,015 ·
Once we get all the side plywood nailed into place, I plan on beefing up the top with more 4 x 4's. Except where I messed up the width between the first two beds. There we will only have room to use 2 x 6's, which I hope will be strong enough to do the job. The weekend should see us finished the building part, next will be the addition of drain rock and topsoil.

·
Super Moderator
14,301 Posts
Good grief, I see why the spikes are next to impossible to pull. I think they will hold any pressure the beds put on the frame work. Looking good buddy. By the way, I sure know about wearing out quick now days. I put a window in my shop wall today and it wore me out. lol

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,017 ·
Good grief, I see why the spikes are next to impossible to pull. I think they will hold any pressure the beds put on the frame work. Looking good buddy. By the way, I sure know about wearing out quick now days. I put a window in my shop wall today and it wore me out. lol
Morning Jim...Well, I think having to put in a window is probably more work than nailing a few boards together.

We are contemplating as to how we are going to surround this area with a deer fence of some sort. I got 50 steel posts which are normally used to hold chain link fencing, but we are going to use a fine plastic mesh instead. Apparently it is supposed to be enough to keep the deer at bay. I guess we will find out once it's installed. The deer have made a terrible mess of the big lawn that we put in last year, and they have eaten just about all of the bulbs we planted last fall. Val is none to impressed with her four legged friends now.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,018 ·
Much to our pleasant surprise, we had but a few light showers today and so we tackled the addition of the plywood sides to the beds. Other than some sore backs as a result of the work, we accomplished what we set out to do.

Our man Jeff is back from Alberta, so we discussed the possibility of having a yard and a half of drain rock delivered, to be followed by the topsoil. No big hurry, as it will be the weekend before we get the top side stiffening boards cut and installed. Now the end result in sight.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,020 ·
Y'all have that looking good buddy, that is going to be nice.
Thanks Jim. It seems the forecast has been changed yet again, and today might be quite nice. It's still pitch black outside here yet so I can't really tell what's happening. But tonight, they are still forecasting wet snow, which will be just dandy for our trip in to North Kamloops tomorrow for my Covid shot.

I think we will try to get at least some of the top reinforcing boards in place today if at all possible.

3001 - 3020 of 3057 Posts