DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 3057 Posts

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,961 ·
That deck would be 20 feet long, so we decided to split it into three parts in order to avoid needing blocking between the joists. Here, if you have spans exceeding 7 feet, they want blocking in the middle of the joists. Therefore, we required a total of 4 beams to support the joists.

Once again, the proverbial monkey wrench showed up, in that we would need to do the excavations for the outside deck before we did the beams for the covered deck.

So next up was to hastily whip up a set of plans for the outside deck, so we could proceed in a timely fashion.

It seemed prudent to simply extend that inner beam line to the outer deck, which we did next.

Yes, that's another big rock there for which Anglemont has become justifiably famous! Our machine had no chance of moving it, so we just built around it.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,962 ·
More digging, more rocks, ad infinitum.

Check out the almost zero clearance between the cage on the excavator and the roof! It's pretty close!

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,963 ·
Found a pic of the beam structure, that far corner which appears to have been chopped off was to try and match the lay of the land. And besides, I'm not particularly a fan of square decks.

If I recall rightly, the lumber that we bought for that deck wasn't pressure treated, so the superintendent, that would be Val of course, decided that we must apply some preservative ourselves. That is why it looks different from real pressure treated wood.

And yes, the beams in the previous photo had to be treated in place. Such great fun.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,964 ·
OK, moving on...some of the deck framing in place here.

And as if by magic, there's the deck all nicely done. No in between pics it would seem.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,965 ·
One minor detail I forgot to mention was that we actually had to leave a 2 foot wide space alongside the house in order to run the big-O down to the lower exit point. After having decked the inner deck, I built a pressure treated 4 x 4 wall on top and then filled that space with drain rock.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,966 ·
This is all I can find of what must be the finished deck surface. Plus you will note the stairs running down from the outer deck, which precluded us requiring the ability of a mountain goat to get down below. And now, also, the lower concrete corner support is clearly visible. Nothing, it seems, comes easily here.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,967 ·
Found a rainy day pic of the new stairs. Oh yes, we do get rain here as well!

A couple from below after the railings were installed.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,968 ·
Apparently, there is little in the way of pics of that triangular shaped pergola thingy on the top deck. That was added to do little more than define the corner of the deck and provide some very rudimentary shade in the summer time. It has turned out to be quite OK though.

That curved 1 x 4 on top was placed temporarily in order to measure the length of each of the overhead joists.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,969 ·
Those joists were installed in a fan shape, which made for some interesting connections at the outer corner, none of which I have a pic of apparently.

Reactions: BigJim

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,970 ·
Next we needed some sort of walkway from the newly installed steps outside the workshop door to the deck itself.

I started from the deck end of the walkway and went from there.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,971 ·
Despite my erroneous claim in post 2966 that there are no pics of the finished inner deck, here are a couple.

Those two holes in the railings, are in fact filled with tempered glass.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,972 ·
The next order of business was to decide what to do in front of the new deck. The building inspector had very kindly advised us that if the ground extended out for 4 feet in front of the deck, that we would not require any railing. Well OK, but we are going to add a railing anyway.

Our choice was to construct yet another deadman wall, which, for us, has proven to work very well in the past.

Firstly, dig out in front of the deck to just below the predominant grade. Add some drain rock, then the first couple of rows of pressure treated 4 x 4's.

At the far end the big-O is clearly visible, and when the smoke had cleared, we had filled up the entire cavity with more drain rock. All told, we consumed an entire 12 yard dump truck load of said rock.

First deadman going in here.

As you progress up the wall, you keep adding drain rock and tamp it continuously.

Thankfully, we had the machine to do the heavy lifting.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,973 ·
Eventually we arrived at the top of the wall and decided to add a shorter wall right in the corner where the ground was higher.

There followed staining of the wall to match the rest of the house.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,974 ·
I'm going to move now to the building of the front drain at the carport. I know you have seen the end product already, but as usual, it did not arrive there without the usual hiccups.

Now, on this little Komatsu, you can turn the digging arm sideways without needing to turn the machine itself around. This enables you to get closer to your target.

I dug the trench just over a foot deep, as we needed to have a good gravel base under the drain. That should ensure that we do not get any ground heaves when it cools down in the winter.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,975 ·
The building of the form was straightforward, even if a little unconventional.

I needed it to have the ability to get removed without too much fighting, so to that end I built it with a slight taper.

Additionally, I needed the top to have a slight indent in the finished concrete to hold the cast steel drain sections in place. Having experienced some difficulties in the past when one makes clearances just too tight, It was deemed better to have just that little extra 1/8" extra room.

So after wrapping the form in 6 mil poly, which should assist in the easier removal of the form, like so...

I turned it right side up and added a wider piece of plywood to provide that little bit of extra room.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,976 ·
At some point between the time the excavation was made and the drain rock was placed, we had a torrential downpour which resulted in this fine mess.

At one point, when we were not looking, the water level got high enough that it ran right into the carport.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,977 ·
There are no pics of the actual concrete pour, but it was done with the considerable help of one of Val's daughters and her husband to be. Without their help, I really don't know how well we would have managed. My ability to work even for relatively short periods of time has left for greener pastures.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,978 ·
Going now to the driveway project, which seemingly would never end.

As earlier reported, we found a few bigger rocks which were difficult to remove.

Our small machine is perfectly capable of digging around these rocks, therefore enabling a larger machine to remove the rock.

You never know when you will bump in to one of these behemoths, but it seems always at the most inopportune times.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,979 · (Edited)
Our paving contractor had two jobs on the go before he was able to get to our place, and was renting this Kubota while his own machine was in use elsewhere. When they were returning it to the local dealer, the driver kindly stopped at our place so that Everett could get rid of this first rock.

·
Registered
House in Anglemont, B.C.
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,980 ·
This was the biggie that caused all manner of trouble.

Everett drilled several 1 1/2" holes in this rock, at least 18" deep.

The drilling operation inevitably caused a huge amount of rock dust and periodically I would blow it away and concentrate the air gun on to the drill, which was getting very warm.

2961 - 2980 of 3057 Posts