DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My husband and I are renting an old drafty house, and as the cold weather moves in, we are trying to do as much as we can to keep heating costs down. There are windows everywhere in the house, which is nice for light but TERRIBLE for temperature. Whoever last owned the house before the current landlord painted over the windows, sealing them enough so that we were basically suffocating in the summer, but now that it's nearing winter we can feel the cold air rushing in through all the cracks. They are old wooden windows (I don't really know how else to describe them, I'll post pictures). We will be buying some insulating curtains, but I was wondering if buying the plastic shrink wrap film would be worth it as well. I'd think that the windows are too uneven (the handles stick out, and the lower pane sticks out a good 3 inches from the upper pane) for it to work. Any other ideas for insulating crappy old windows? I'm thinking of doing bubble wrap if necessary.

Thank you,

Dena

Attachments

·
Registered
37,226 Posts
The film is not attached to the window, it gets attached to the casing and the stool.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
If you're not to proud , heavy plastic on the outside (exterior) is more effective . Keeps the wind from penetrating openings in the window jams &entering the home .
In the "old days" they would use 1/4 x 3/4 wood tack strips to fasten it to face boards .

PS: What is your location ?

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
if the windows are leaking. use temporary caulk to seal em up. then put the plastic like joe said. it really will help.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
That old pulley style window allows air through a single layer of glass, every crack and crevice and through the slots the pulley ropes go through. For that style window I personally believe that plastic on the inside is better than plastic on the outside. The heat shrink stuff will help but is thin.

A product like rope caulk shown here http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1386305 is an effective way to seal small cracks in a non destructive manner. It separates into single or more strands is self adhering to clean dry surfaces and is easily removed.

The bubble wrap for windows you don't need to see out would also be very effective if taped around the edges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts