DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dunch Today
I wanted to make fried shrimp…my favorite.
We go to this Italian Restaurant and every time
we go I get the fried calamari surrounded by
Caesar Salad or a Greek Salad.
Anyhow, I made a Greek salad with feta cheese and anchovies…
With fried shrimp on the side, and also
included corn salad and deviled eggs…It was deliciouso.
for dessert cheesecake Strawberry Tart and strong coffee.👍💕

Corn salad recipe
1 can corn - drained
1 chopped tomato - Seeds removed
2 chopped scallion - green tops too
1 Tab fresh dill - or any other spice you prefer
1 Tablespoon fresh chopped basil
salt and pepper
2 rounded tablespoons mayonnaise
Chill in fridge for a couple hours
Food Tableware Plate Table Recipe
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Plate
Food Tableware Ingredient Plate Recipe
Food Tableware Dishware Plate Ingredient
Food Ingredient Toy Recipe Baked goods

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Dunch Today
I wanted to make fried shrimp…my favorite.
We go to this Italian Restaurant and every time
we go I get the fried calamari surrounded by
Caesar Salad or a Greek Salad.
Anyhow, I made a Greek salad with feta cheese and anchovies…
With fried shrimp on the side, and also
included corn salad and deviled eggs…It was deliciouso.
for dessert cheesecake Strawberry Tart and strong coffee.👍💕

Corn salad recipe
1 can corn - drained
1 chopped tomato - Seeds removed
2 chopped scallion - green tops too
1 Tab fresh dill - or any other spice you prefer
1 Tablespoon fresh chopped basil
salt and pepper
2 rounded tablespoons mayonnaise
Chill in fridge for a couple hours
View attachment 700573 View attachment 700574 View attachment 700575 View attachment 700576 View attachment 700577
Don’t think I’ve ever heard of corn salad but I know I’ll like it and will try soon. Love Greek salads and good Feta makes a difference.

I have a bag of shrimp in the freezer and I like them grilled but no way to grill them. Do you think they’d taste the same as grilled if I put them under the broiler? They’re expensive so I don’t want to ruin them.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’ll have to put oil or butter on them…they may end up tasting like shrimp scampi?

Reactions: Startingover

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I have a bag of shrimp in the freezer and I like them grilled but no way to grill them. Do you think they’d taste the same as grilled if I put them under the broiler? They’re expensive so I don’t want to ruin them.
Broiling is a great way to make them. Melt a little butter and crush a fresh garlic clove. Warm the butter and the single clove in the microwave. Do not let it boil or get to hot. Then let it sit for a few hours. Then fish out the crushed garlic clove.
Butterfly the shrimp. This should almost make them flat. Dip the shrimp in the butter garlic mixture. Lightly dip them one at a time in bread crumbs. Lightly.
Then broil (crumb side up) until shrimp turn pink. It should take no more than 5 minutes provide you preheat the broiler on high for several minutes.
The air fryer would work well using the same process. You can even pan fry/saute them. Shrimp are extremely easy to prepare and cook. The key is to not over cook them.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Broiling is a great way to make them. Melt a little butter and crush a fresh garlic clove. Warm the butter and the single clove in the microwave. Do not let it boil or get to hot. Then let it sit for a few hours. Then fish out the crushed garlic clove.
Butterfly the shrimp. This should almost make them flat. Dip the shrimp in the butter garlic mixture. Lightly dip them one at a time in bread crumbs. Lightly.
Then broil (crumb side up) until shrimp turn pink. It should take no more than 5 minutes provide you preheat the broiler on high for several minutes.
The air fryer would work well using the same process. You can even pan fry/saute them. Shrimp are extremely easy to prepare and cook. The key is to not over cook them.
Can’t wait to try this. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Can’t wait to try this. Thanks.
It was just a thought. I like a little crunch and that method gives you that. Just a little.
You can change anything you like. Thats why I call it a method and not a recipe. I don't use recipes. I use methods and expand from there. After all the basic idea is to cook the shrimp and not over cook it.
In many cases when I'm not certain about a recipe or method I look it up for ideas. Rarely do I follow the directions to a tee. In baking I do follow ingredients and measurements exactly every single time. Baking is different.
This is how I cook. Get ideas and then make my own ideas.
Example: Today I am going to make 3 lamb chops. Very thick. I decided to try out my new Sous Vide circulator. I have never used it and was not sure about the temperature.
I found out the temp and saw ideas as to seasoning and herbs. I will use the tested temp and use the saesonings and herbs I have on hand. So its not a recipe. Its an idea turn into a method. Cooking this way opens up a mountain of possibilities.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Please tell me what a Sous Vide is so I don’t have to look it up.

my daughter Loves to cook and loves nice gadgets even if she only uses them on occasion. But she has plenty of space to store things but me not so much.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Please tell me what a Sous Vide is so I don’t have to look it up.

my daughter Loves to cook and loves nice gadgets even if she only uses them on occasion. But she has plenty of space to store things but me not so much.
Its an immersion device that heats water to a precise temperature and it circulates the water bath. You turn it on until it reaches your desired temperature for what you are cooking. Then you immerse the food (I'm using lamb chops) in a sealed plastic freezer or vacuum bag and allow it to cook following the tested time and temperature that are published and verified.
You then sear it for a couple minutes. I'm using my chimney starter that I bought a small grate for. Should work well.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Update: The sous vide and the chimney starter worked great. Put both chops put in a freezer bag (I did not want to pull out the vacuum sealer) with olive oil, Kosher salt, cracked black pepper and of sprig of rosemary and thyme from the garden.
In the water bath 2.5 hours. At 131°f.
Filled chimney starter 3/4ths full of lump charcoal and lit it. When screaming hot I put the new grate on it and seared my chop and allowed my wifes chop to cook a little longer. I butterflied hers so it would cook faster.
Perfectly done. I learned I do not need that much charcoal. 1/2 full will be plenty.
I am now confident in the sous vide cooking and plan to use it often.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts