DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been searching online for days for an answer to fixing my shower to no avail :(

I recently renovated my basement bathroom including replacing the shower insert, fixtures and shower head. I have replaced the Waltec seats and cartridges in the hot and cold faucets. I replaced the old leaking showerhead with a new Waterpik one from Home Depot.

Now, here's the problem. When drawing a bath the water temperature control seems to work fine. As soon as I pull the knob to run the showerhead, the cold water is EXTREMELY sensitive! It is almost impossible to get the right mix of hot and cold to get a good shower in. It's either WAY too cold or WAY to hot.

Is there a way I can fix this? Maybe the showerhead is the problem?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Yep--remove the cartridge(s) and clean them---flush out the valve body---

Sometimes the cartridges as ruined---

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies but I'm not sure either will help me. My shower is a 2 handle system (no anti-scald valve) and the cartridges (and seats) are BRAND NEW.

Water comes into the tub just fine temperature-wise. It is not until I pull the diverter knob to run the showerhead that I have a problem.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how the showerhead has this much control over the water temperature. It is just a regular no frills showerhead.

Trying to figure out if it's a water pressure problem, a showerhead problem or what!

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
My Moen single handle shower valve also has very small range for the right temp. I have to tap the handle to find it. I imagine it is combination of all factors including the bends and lengths of supply pipes, size and efficiency of water heater, insulation, house water psi, etc.
This is in addition to all answers above.
I don't know about your brand, but two handle valves always seem to need fiddling. I thought that was a given?:)
I don't have experience with more expensive brands, and may be they are pre-engineered with some cushion?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks gmaint :) I removed the water saver washer and now have a LITTLE more control over the temp. Not a huge difference but it's a start! Just in time for my guests this weekend. Thank You!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts