DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the oddest thing. The water hammer only occurs in the guest room shower, no where else in the house. It only seems to happen when the hot water temperature is a bit cooler (after someone else's shower or when the tank timer has been off for a while).

If I open a HW faucet anywhere in the house, the water hammer stops. If you rotate the valve towards COLD it stops. I tried replacing the Delta ball type valve parts, but it still does it.

I don't think there is a stand pipe for this shower, and it would be very difficult to install one now, without taking out some dry wall.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Water hammer occurs when a valve is closed from the open position, not while it is open.
Perhaps describing it as water chatter may be more correct. I just got out of the shower and it happened again. Again, only happens when hot water is full on and maybe the temp is a little cooler. The water timer was in the off cycle and my wife had just taken a shower.

It pulses about 3 times per second, and seems to rattle the pipes in the whole house. The water out of the shower head pulses, like it's a massage type head, but it's not. If I rotate the ball type valve and bit and bring in some cold water it stops. And as I said, I just replaced all the valve inner parts and it's still happening.

30 year old house, but this seems to be a relatively new phenomenon.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I'm not a pro but have experienced chatter with a Symmons pressure valve. In my case the spool was worn out. Yours might be defective or has dirt in it since you indicated the parts were changed recently. (Part #8. )

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not a pro but have experienced chatter with a Symmons pressure valve. In my case the spool was worn out. Yours might be defective or has dirt in it since you indicated the parts were changed recently. (Part #8. )
It was doing the chatter thing, so I replaced the parts. Now it's doing the same thing after the parts were replaced.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
MurphyMan said:
It was doing the chatter thing, so I replaced the parts. Now it's doing the same thing after the parts were replaced.
Just to be clear, you replaced the spool, part 8? The spool would chatter trying to adjust for changes in pressure.

Maybe there's something in the pipe that's messing with even pressure to the valve.

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
Sounds like you're experiencing some kind of vibration similar to when you operate a kitchen faucet spray and you barely squeeze the handle, the diverter inside of the faucet vibrates like crazy.

Is there a hose bibb nearby with a vacuum breaker AND with a hose attached to it, with a spray nozzle, AND the hose is left on?

:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got it fixed! and yes, it was the diverter valve. There is a little plastic paddle which is pinned to the shaft. When I pulled it out, the paddle was all loose and floppy. The replacement diverter was pinned nice and tight. There is no doubt that this was causing flutter, which caused the chatter.

BTW - in case someone could stumble across this thread 5 years from now, you need a 7/8" deep well socket to remove the diverter. I tried to put a channel locks on the wrenching surface, but only distorted the brass. Just get the socket and you'll have no trouble.

Thanks to all who helped. :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.