DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding a shower and ripped everything down to the studs. The back wall studs are installed with the wide side out to which the drywall was attached. The floor plate looks like it is a 2x4 cut in half length wise. I guess this was done because of the main waste pipe and a vent pipe. The header above these studs also appear to be a 1x2 or 2x2. I want to remove these studs and replace with 2x4s the "normal" way, but I belive this is a load bearing wall. There is another bathroom above this one. Anyway, do you guys have any tips or advice on how to replace these studs and floor plates without compromising the structure of the room above it? Sorry about the rotated 1st and 4th picture.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Water walls should have been done with 2 X 6's, not 2 X 4's.
A textured ceiling a bathroom? Really bad idea.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ceiling was like that when we bought the house. Why do shower walls have to be 2x6s? I've done a lot of research and almost everything I've seen about shower walls used 2x4s for the studs.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
2x4s are standard for shower walls---it looks like yours are 'on the flat'---so they tend to be flexible---if the studs are still straight and not springy, you should be fine--

If any are warped or springy, add another along side if space permits or cut it out and replace with a sound stud.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
If you can temporarily support the load above then remove the old and install new framing the traditional way.........it's done all the time. I did the same in my own bathroom remodel only I didn't have drain lines to contend with. I could then add proper insulation to the framing bays.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. The studs aren't warped, but the they are way of center to each other. On the other side of the waste pipe the stud sits about 2-3 degrees off from the studs you see in the pictures. I don't know how drywall was attached to them and held tile. When I tore out the old stuff the tile was still there and the grout was also still intact. Anyway, I want to get the studs as flush as possible with each other so tiling will be much easier and look good and last.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.