DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-I am planning on remodeling our shower. The current shower was built poorly with no vapour barrier. Once I ripped out the old vinyl like layer I found dry wall behind it. The plan is to take the dry wall out up to the shower length and then add cement board(HardieBacker). After that I am planning on installing Schluter®-KERDI-DS waterproof membrane. Lastly we are planning on installing the porcelain or ceramic tiles on it. My few concerns are as follows:
a) Is this a good design to implement or am I missing something?
b) Should I remove the complete walls or only to the length of shower? Pictures attached for review. I heard mixed thing on the internet and I wanna make sure I do the right thing.

Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

·
Naildriver
16,993 Posts
Absolutely get rid of the sheetrock. If you install CBU, you would not need the extra step of the Kerdi, unless it gave you a warm and fuzzy. Are you changing the base out as well? I would remove all the walls where you wanted tile. Sometimes it looks best to run the tile all the way to the ceiling. It would be your call on that. No one has a rock solid answer on it.

Reactions: Dave Sal
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.