·
Registered
37,270 Posts
Use morter not concrete mix.

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Thumpd50,

It's called "Sand Mix" or "Sand Topping Mix". http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/SandToppingMix.asp

Ideally the recommended mix/ratio for shower deck mud is 1:4 . This product comes 1:3. Use it as is or add some all-purpose sand to make it a little easier to work with. 1:3, 1:4, 1:5, it'll all work well. Just mix it very dry, tamp well then screed to shape, finally steel-trowel to make it more dense.

Jaz

·
Still going...
997 Posts
I just bought this at Lowe's. Read on another forum(Bud Cline) to buy 50 lb bag of Sand topping mix and one bag of 30 lb. all purpose sand gets the right mix. Its by volume not by weight. Buy pairs as needed

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Great suggestion there Chris.:laughing:

I don't think those bags come in #50, but makes no dif. And yes the formulas are by volume not weight. However when you're not mixing it yourself you're left with buying bagged materials and so they are referred to by weight. Easy to figure with a little algebra knowledge, but I've seen it made as lean as 1:7 for floors and still fine. :eek:

Jaz

·
Still going...
997 Posts
I have a shower pan to build in the next month. So will be following this thread.

·
registered
1,354 Posts
Your talking about doing a old fashion mud job. Make sure you have slop to center of drain. Its a sand cement mixture with the consistency of motar. This is old school. But the best. Especially on walls. Where you put up the ribwire attached to the studs. You can get the walls perfectly level before tile setting. If i'm not mistake the top coat would be a sand/cement mixture with masonary lime add to it. This has been pretty much replaced with the invention of cement board.:thumbsup: On the tile pan. Its pretty much ditra these days.:yes:

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
On the tile pan. Its pretty much ditra these days.
No, not Ditra for shower pans. You're thinking of Kerdi.

Although I think it's the best, only a small percentage of showers are built with Kerdi membrane and drain.

Jaz

·
Still going...
997 Posts
Is Kerdi approved for steam shower?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 using DIY Chatroom

·
registered
1,354 Posts
No, not Ditra for shower pans. You're thinking of Kerdi.

Although I think it's the best, only a small percentage of showers are built with Kerdi membrane and drain.

Jaz
Thanks for the correction. I meant kerdi. The Styrofoam pan kit.:thumbup:

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Chris said:
Is Kerdi approved for steam shower?
Certainly is, yes.

Jaz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts