DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

There is a water stain in the ceiling started a year ago under the master bedroom shower. Today I opened a hole in the ceiling and noticed a spot dripping water really slowly, probably a tiny drip per a few mins, so that's why probably took a year or years to show up.
So it is not really a pipe leak or anything... I was wondering if it is even fixable and what to do next? Or I will need to redo the shower? It is a old shower, possibly 20 years old.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Water Wood Tints and shades Lake Ceiling
Automotive tire Wood Wood stain Bicycle tire Hardwood

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the grout is always not in good shape but I don't think missing grout would cause a leak, right? To my understanding the plastic pan should stop the water?

·
Naildriver
18,660 Posts
IF the pan tiles were installed over a proper pre slope, pvc liner, then slope, you should not have all the black crud forming under it. I thought at first it was a cast iron pan due to the blackness. It is probably mold and is coming from an improperly installed pan.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
From the picture, it doesn't look like the leak is from the drain set.
You may have to remove the tiles, to find out what's under the tiles and rebuild everything from scratch.
In my area, hot mop beds are popular for first and second floor pans, which can eliminate such leaks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You could try stripping the old grout with a multitool, or razor knife and hand tool if you're patient, and replacing with Spectralock or similar epoxy grout. Cement grout isn't waterproof, epoxy is. I did that on my tile counter top and it's held up great for years, didn't take too long. You can weigh the liquids and sand so don't have to use a whole serving at once, and maybe if it gets better but not completely try going up the walls with the remainder. Might not work but to me it'd be worth the chance to avoid ripping it up. Bleach and rinse first and thoroughly blow out the dust after scraping if you try it.

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
Well, the grout is always not in good shape but I don't think missing grout would cause a leak, right? To my understanding the plastic pan should stop the water?
Missing grout is not supposed to cause a leak. However if the shower wasn't waterproofed correctly, then missing grout will expose or exacerbate that leak. You might be able to fix it by simply regrouting that area, and then sealing the grout, or using epoxy grout. That of course does not fix the actual problem, but it might work. The only reason I mention it is because the only real fix is ripping up your shower floor, including at a minimum the bottom 2 rows of wall tile. Then redoing that, waterproofed correctly. If the person doing it is good, and with a little luck, you can sometimes salvage those wall tiles and reuse them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts