DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are re-doing our washroom tiles. Especially the shower floor. About 30 sq' of shower floor. We have always used porceline tile but love the look of the hexagonal marble products out there.

Is it worth it? Marble is a porous stone - even when sealed - I have read of water getting in.

The rest of the bathroom (walls and floor) will be a high polished porceline with a marble look. White

We want the floor to be close in colour without standard 2x2 squares. Off white will not work. That natural marble look is what we are after without the maintenance and porous issues.

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,242 Posts
You might seal the marble with a CLEAR POLYURETHANE to keep it looking like new, but I think that with it's natural porosity, you are getting a lot of maintenance duties. otherwise.

I am sure that a real experienced tile man will be along soon to advise you more, there are a few very good ones on here, with years of expert experience.

ED

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
I would also be very concerned of the porosity of marble. With the variety of tiles available (at a real tile store), hard to believe you can't find a porcelain tile that looks like the stone you want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Re: Shower floor marble vs porcelaine

Yes, having visited 4 specialty tile stores and also the big box locations. There is unfortunately not a product that looks like marble in a hex pattern like this image below. We may have to get 2x2 square porcelains on a mesh back and run it at a 45 degree angle for visual appeal. The problem with many porcelain tiles as they are so plain looking.

http://imgur.com/a/eJvOu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts