DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was fixing something in the ceiling & noticed the drain from my shower has a strange design. It's like a super long P-Trap.
Is this Ok? Should this need to be changed?

We don't smell any sewer drain in the bathroom so that's Good.
The water drain speed, I'm not very convinced, I thought it was because it was a vertical drain and even a small amount of hair stuck the water starts to drain very slowly & cleaning this is a little more hassle than a simple drain.

20210220_150725.jpg

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
IDK, maybe you could sister along the penetrated part?

In order to meet code the hole can't be <2" from top or bottom of the joist, and diameter is limited to 1/3 the height of the joist. Hard to tell in the pics about the 1/3, but it certainly doesn't look like the 2" is met. Holes look overbored too.

Can't see the plumbing on the left side, but I would have bored in the middle of the height and did the P in one joist bay before shooting off to the left to connect to the ultimate drain.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,226 Posts
The purpose of the trap is to hold water to prevent sewer gases from entering into the house. To me, that looks fine since water seeks its own level.

As Thinkfuture pointed out there may be a penetration concern -->>

·
Registered
119 Posts
The hole should be in the center of the joist. You can repair it by sistering with new lumber but you'll have to open the ceiling a bit more.

You could replace that weird setup with a regular p-trap to get the pipe at the proper height, but then it looks like you'll have a conduit in the way. Fun job.

·
Premium Member
11,793 Posts
I was fixing something in the ceiling & noticed the drain from my shower has a strange design. It's like a super long P-Trap.
Is this Ok? Should this need to be changed?
Traps are designed to certain specs/size so that they are defined as self cleaning....... You do not have a trap. You have a pipe with a severe belly and is probably 1/2 full of soap, scum, hair, etc...........
Do you have a vent somewhere downstream for when you install a trap it will function properly?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Traps are designed to certain specs/size so that they are defined as self cleaning....... You do not have a trap. You have a pipe with a severe belly and is probably 1/2 full of soap, scum, hair, etc...........
Do you have a vent somewhere downstream for when you install a trap it will function properly?
Yes, there is a vent, that part I confirmed for sure.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Looks like handy andy installed the shower without a trap. To fix this you would need to drill the upper part of each joist so the trap is directly under the shower. This would kill the joist.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you post a pic of what Neal circled in red in posting #7 ?
I covered this with dry wall, I plan to remove the dry wall and redo the plumbing this weekend. I'll check again on this.

By the way, the hight of the hole drilled on joist is only to protect against accidental screw damage or is this a structural / strength issue with the Joist?
Also, if I reroute the plumbing & sister in the Joist am I safe?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Looks like handy andy installed the shower without a trap.
Oh it has a trap......a 3' long trap.
There is no way to clean that, no way it will ever empty any crap that goes into it.
It's time for a pro to figure that out.
No way that passed inspection.....even a lousy inspector on his first day would have caught it.
Maybe a handful of $20's got it passed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
By the way, the hight of the hole drilled on joist is only to protect against accidental screw damage or is this a structural / strength issue with the Joist?
Also, if I reroute the plumbing & sister in the Joist am I safe?
It is a structural issue.
Yes, reinforcing the joist and rerouting the plumbing (and installing a proper trap) is what you should do.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Oh it has a trap......a 3' long trap.
There is no way to clean that, no way it will ever empty any crap that goes into it.
It's time for a pro to figure that out.
No way that passed inspection.....even a lousy inspector on his first day would have caught it.
Maybe a handful of $20's got it passed.
Our codes require a licensed plumber or homeowner to perform plumbing with permits and inspections. I’ll put money it wasn't inspected or tested.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and input. I'm back with all the details after removing the ceiling again.

This is existing plumbing...the above is when the earlier owners remodeled their Master bath, but even in this case, the hole on the joist is very high & apparently there was no issue with code here.
For reference, this is a 10" joist.

Regarding sistering the Joist, what are my options here to make this easier? Should I use another 10" Joist to match a small section? Or a plywood sistering would work? Any metal plates that can help to make things easier here?
This seems like some kind of weird reflection. There is a small vent pipe going up and connecting to the main vent, but not very prominent. That's just a drain connected to main drain line.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts