DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I never understood why these were built this way. Having the ceiling dropped in the shower area. Or worse, a header type structure up by the ceiling, trapping the moisture in the shower.
Most times these are dead spaces that can be reclaimed when the bath is redone.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I never understood why these were built this way. Having the ceiling dropped in the shower area. Or worse, a header type structure up by the ceiling, trapping the moisture in the shower.
Most times these are dead spaces that can be reclaimed when the bath is redone.
This approach works well when a vent/light is in the shower area. The dormer allows the curtain or glass doors to confine the moisture inside the shower area where it can be evacuated without fogging up the mirror or getting the rest of the bathroom damp.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
This approach works well when a vent/light is in the shower area. The dormer allows the curtain or glass doors to confine the moisture inside the shower area where it can be evacuated without fogging up the mirror or getting the rest of the bathroom damp.
This would not be a concern to me about the rest of the bathroom fogging up. A light can be put in the ceiling above.
I've done this in dozens of bathrooms and the customers have loved it and never had an issue with the change. I've even done a few baths where the ceilings were cathedralized and the light was 11 feet off the floor.

·
Too Old
345 Posts
Now I understand the layout thanks for the better pic, So how high is the shower ceiling?

·
Too Old
345 Posts
I hate low shower ceilings and shower, heads I hope it's not the master shower.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
havalife said:
I hate low shower ceilings and shower, heads I hope it's not the master shower.
It is sort of annoying, and no its not the master shower. Master is weird.. its got a light in the showers ceiling, and it is like a closet.. ceiling is regular height but where the door is it drops down about a foot. So with the fan outside the shower, all the steam gets trapped in there. Weird. Its a 11 year old house.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts